#1 Grant Wilkinson

Grant Wilkinson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:30 AM

now, before I go and burn some film, anyone out there got any tips for shooting super 8 at night? inspired by vincent gallo's much maligned, but interestingly shot 'The Brown Bunny', I'd like to shoot some super 8 in the evening

any practical tips / things to avoid?

shooting with 6008pro

thanks

#2 David W Scott

David W Scott
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Director
  • Toronto

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:37 AM

now, before I go and burn some film, anyone out there got any tips for shooting super 8 at night? inspired by vincent gallo's much maligned, but interestingly shot 'The Brown Bunny', I'd like to shoot some super 8 in the evening

any practical tips / things to avoid?

shooting with 6008pro

thanks

Off the top of my head:

- Shoot VISION2 500T.
- Dark scenes without any highlights are very muddy -- include a practical bulb or some highlights in every shot.
- Shoot dusk for night, using the remaining illumination after the sun has completely disappeared behind the horizon. It will look like night, with no direct sunlight, but will keep your backgrounds from falling into completely blackness.
- The 6008 has variable shutter, so use a larger opening to shoot in available light.

Sorry, I missed 'The Brown Bunny'.

#3 Grant Wilkinson

Grant Wilkinson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Other
  • London, UK

Posted 05 October 2006 - 09:48 AM

'Sorry, I missed 'The Brown Bunny'.

thanks for the tips...

as for "The BB" - I really love the cinematography in it (VG is the DoP... and a camera op...). gained notoriety for the sex scene with chloe sevigny towards the end, but en route there's some great stuff - all very art house, but great scenes of driving across america, shot from a van, plus a great scene of a motorbike disappearing into the horizon on salt flats which reminded me of the nightmare-hallucinatory cop cars in the desert of the essential 'Punishment Park' by Peter Watkins... but hey, I digress...

#4 David W Scott

David W Scott
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Director
  • Toronto

Posted 06 October 2006 - 02:03 PM

'Sorry, I missed 'The Brown Bunny'.

thanks for the tips...

as for "The BB" - I really love the cinematography in it (VG is the DoP... and a camera op...). gained notoriety for the sex scene with chloe sevigny towards the end, but en route there's some great stuff - all very art house, but great scenes of driving across america, shot from a van, plus a great scene of a motorbike disappearing into the horizon on salt flats which reminded me of the nightmare-hallucinatory cop cars in the desert of the essential 'Punishment Park' by Peter Watkins... but hey, I digress...

I really liked the look of 'Buffalo '66', so I should check out BB. 'Buffalo '66' had a cool feel to it - like blue-collar arthouse. Growing up, I could see the Buffalo skyline from my parents' house in Canada, and spent a lot of time there. That movie captured my memories of Buffalo's look & feel. (Although there is another side of Buffalo too - older, richer, more cosmopolitan - that has been largely forgotten by the popular media.)

#5 steve hyde

steve hyde
  • Sustaining Members
  • 446 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 08 October 2006 - 12:45 PM

..With a good transfer, like this one from some b-roll material, you can acheive black blacks. A one light transfer would have yeilded milky blacks. The film is 7217, camera Nikon R10, and the transfer was made at FSFT.

http://www.steve-hyd...m/night7217.mov

hope this helps,

Steve

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Visual Products