• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 05 October 2006 - 08:58 AM

Got heads up on this from cinematography.net. Like the fact that they are really catering for anamorphic shooters. just wish they could find a europeon distributer- preferably one with the cash to do some work on an ergonomic housing for it! 2k version is also interesting and check out thier claimed high speed frame rate.

kinor digital camera

enjoy,

Keith

#2 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:09 PM

Got heads up on this from cinematography.net. Like the fact that they are really catering for anamorphic shooters. just wish they could find a europeon distributer- preferably one with the cash to do some work on an ergonomic housing for it! 2k version is also interesting and check out thier claimed high speed frame rate.

kinor digital camera

enjoy,

Keith

Damn! Beat me to the punch.

Note that they will take Kinor cine-cameras as trade in.

Will they also be upgrading these?

#3 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 07 October 2006 - 03:39 AM

I saw this one at the Cinec, but only grabbed a one-sheet. The people at the Kinor/Elite Optica booth did not speak English, except for a translator who didn't know anything about the product, so I couldn't get a straight answer baout their various lenses already.

The thing that makes me wonder though is how the figures are supposed to work out. With spherical lenses they say you get 2400x1350 pixels (16-9), which is really just a bit better than 2K and certainly not 4 K. But with an anamorphic lens they claim you get 4040x1720 pixels (2.35 aspect ratio). I have a feeling that they are cheating a bit and for the horizontal pixel count are using the unsqueezed figure (4040), when on the sensor you actually only use 2020 pixels effectively.

Also I wonder if these numbers are the figures of the chip or the output, processed image.

#4 Luke Prendergast

Luke Prendergast
  • Sustaining Members
  • 491 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Victoria Australia

Posted 07 October 2006 - 04:58 PM

The highspeed demo clip has some major issues with exposure fluctuation, random sparkles, and horizontal banding. I didn't look at the other examples. Doesn't look like it's a product yet.

#5 Emanuel A Guedes

Emanuel A Guedes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Producer

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:21 PM

Actually, this is an old one.

I already thought about this possibility before. Their comparision vs a Viper is quite interesting...

http://www.ctt.ru/demo/

...but following the next input coming from a possible customer (Levan Bakhia), well, I prefer to leave over here the link...

http://www.dvxuser.c...1521#post371521

...in order to each one can take his/her own conclusions...

BTW, Levan Bakhia is also with RED: 4 reservations (one from NAB + three after the RED presentation coming from IBC) as it's possible to confirm here from his own words...

http://www.dvinfo.ne...ead.php?t=75803

...besides myself, since last friday I sent a fax in order to be holder of more one reservation, two (total) now.

#6 Emanuel A Guedes

Emanuel A Guedes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • Producer

Posted 07 October 2006 - 08:46 PM

Last but not least, on topic, it's interesting to see two european (one of them as born citizen of the former Soviet Union) as buyers (and investors too -- don't forget!) of an western project from an american company instead of another prior "red" one but maybe without the marketing success guaranteed for a entrepreneur like James Jannard is.

#7 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 08 October 2006 - 04:03 AM

Hi,

For sure there will be several HD/2k/4k cameras comming to the market in the next year or so. Competition will mean lower prices for those who wait!

I hope to be able to do some back to back tests!

Stephen

#8 Patrizio De Sica

Patrizio De Sica
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Director

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:46 AM

Hi,

For sure there will be several HD/2k/4k cameras comming to the market in the next year or so. Competition will mean lower prices for those who wait!

Yeah... Maybe the next SLR generation.

Meanwhile,

http://www.dvinfo.ne...amp;postcount=6

http://www.kinor.ru/...ts/camera/dc4k/

400fps @ 1080p

250fps @ 4K

hell...

but as it seems, this is not a "Real" 4K Camera

"4040x1720x with Anamorpthic LENS*
2,35:1
2400x1350 with standard lenses"

in digital terms this is just WRONG

Using a anamorpthic lens does NOT offer more resolution but gives you same resolution with non square pixels in projection.

22mm size sensor... lame

RED will blow this out of the water

P.S. wow... the Elite 4,2/240?1040 weights 18 kg... quite a big lens

#9 Trevor Greenfield

Trevor Greenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Director
  • North Idaho

Posted 20 October 2006 - 11:43 AM

anyone know the prices on these cameras? Rental looks to be about the same as the cinealta.

#10 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:11 PM

Meanwhile,

Hi Patrizio,

It's a shame that the person in the link knows nothing about anamorphic cinematography.

Stephen

#11 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:15 PM

Yeah... Maybe the next SLR generation.

Meanwhile,

Got to be honest, I don't understand a word of this post- what does 'maybe the next slr generation' mean? I assume SLR means single lens reflex? SLR's appeared first appeared in the 1930's I believe... nope still confused. and why 'meanwhile' followed by some moaning idiotic redophile complaining that a working camera has placed misleading information on thier website- something that a manufacturer of a much trumpeted non-working camera would never do? am i in the right ball park for any of this? and why not just say here's some nonsense i've seen another website rather than a link to something completely pointless- which you then quote anyway?

#12 John Holland

John Holland
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • London England

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:21 PM

Keith this person [ Patrizio ] doesnt deserve any one to reply to any posts ,waste of finger power . John Holland.

#13 Patrizio De Sica

Patrizio De Sica
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Director

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:12 PM

Keith this person [ Patrizio ] doesnt deserve any one to reply to any posts ,waste of finger power . John Holland.

What's your problem, Holland?

Let me guess:

http://www.cinematog...n...st&p=131936

Here? Is this your personal tiny response? But you don't need to answer. I will. Once and again: your pet hates and dislikes are simply RIDICULOUS! This time, you forgot your location... :lol: but I ask you once more: did you read well? Your own native english? :P Ridiculous... Get a point (of view), mister!

#14 Patrizio De Sica

Patrizio De Sica
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Director

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:34 PM

Got to be honest, I don't understand a word of this post- what does 'maybe the next slr generation' mean? I assume SLR means single lens reflex? SLR's appeared first appeared in the 1930's I believe... nope still confused. and why 'meanwhile' followed by some moaning idiotic redophile complaining that a working camera has placed misleading information on thier website- something that a manufacturer of a much trumpeted non-working camera would never do? am i in the right ball park for any of this? and why not just say here's some nonsense i've seen another website rather than a link to something completely pointless- which you then quote anyway?

On this, the only answer I can give you... meanwhile... is:

Following the Mr. Williams point on upcoming HD/2k/4k cameras, I brought two hands to this debate:

The sensor issue from the SLR industry contribution (motion picture as well?) and an external quote on the same subject (focusing that anamorphic point quoted by Mr. Williams now after my post) and that: "RED will blow this out of the water". Is that your problem?

#15 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 20 October 2006 - 02:09 PM

"RED will blow this out of the water".

Hi,

I was rather hoping they would. Nothing I have seen to date indicates they will IMHO.

Stephen

#16 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 October 2006 - 02:10 PM

On this, the only answer I can give you... meanwhile... is:

Following the Mr. Williams point on upcoming HD/2k/4k cameras, I brought two hands to this debate:

The sensor issue from the SLR industry contribution (motion picture as well?) and an external quote on the same subject (focusing that anamorphic point quoted by Mr. Williams now after my post) and that: "RED will blow this out of the water". Is that your problem?

I have no problem with anyone making a valued contribution to this forum. unfortunately i cannot understand anything you're saying. you also failed to address any of my questions.

#17 Patrizio De Sica

Patrizio De Sica
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Director

Posted 20 October 2006 - 03:52 PM

I have no problem with anyone making a valued contribution to this forum. unfortunately i cannot understand anything you're saying. you also failed to address any of my questions.

It's not difficult to understand we don't speak the same Red language here. That's not a big deal. Since we are posting in a democratic forum. The only problem is when this is not acceptable to all.

On your claim, quoting myself: "The only answer I can give you... meanwhile... is:" that answer you already know.

Quoting Mr. Williams to my (and from others) presumption ("RED will blow this out of the water"): "I was rather hoping they would". The last part of his statement "failed to address any of my..." (and from others) finds.

Edited by Patrizio De Sica, 20 October 2006 - 03:56 PM.

#18 Patrizio De Sica

Patrizio De Sica
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Director

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:15 PM

:rolleyes: :unsure:

#19 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:35 AM

Quoting Mr. Williams to my (and from others) presumption ("RED will blow this out of the water"): "I was rather hoping they would". The last part of his statement "failed to address any of my..." (and from others) finds.

Hi Patrizio,

The green screen shot! What would that blow out of the water?

Stephen

#20 Stuart Brereton

Stuart Brereton
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3070 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 October 2006 - 04:39 AM

It's not difficult to understand we don't speak the same Red language here.

So RED is a language as well as a camera now? Add that to the burgeoning RED religion and we could be seeing the emergence of a new world order....

wow.

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Technodolly

Willys Widgets

Abel Cine

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS