Tomas Koolhaas
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • los angeles

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:54 PM

Hi,
I am shooting a comedy short on the JVC hd-100 this weekend, the director wants a Fish-eye lense look on a couple of shots, but cannot afford to rent an actual fish-eye lense, he has the wide angle converter for his stock lense but even with this the effect is not pronounced enough...so my question is, can this effect be achieved in post without degrading the image so much that in the event it gets into a festival it wont look even worse when projected.
I am guessing a program like after effects may work???....any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Cheers.

#2 sibte hassan

sibte hassan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:14 PM

Hi,
I am shooting a comedy short on the JVC hd-100 this weekend, the director wants a Fish-eye lense look on a couple of shots, but cannot afford to rent an actual fish-eye lense, he has the wide angle converter for his stock lense but even with this the effect is not pronounced enough...so my question is, can this effect be achieved in post without degrading the image so much that in the event it gets into a festival it wont look even worse when projected.
I am guessing a program like after effects may work???....any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Cheers.

You can do it in after effects without a problem, only if you are shooting HD put the effect and then downsampling it to SD. the thing is that you will not have the clarity in DoF, you will have distortion.
Or try using an expensive convex mirror, just like the one we use to look for the blind spot in traffic, it sits on the sideview mirror. hope this helps

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

CineTape