3 replies to this topic

#1 F Bulgarelli

F Bulgarelli
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 October 2006 - 03:30 PM

I'll be shooting a project with the F900 and i was considering using the Pro35, however, i'm a bit concern about issues with seeing the ground glass grain when projecting on a big screen.
I'll be using the zeiss T1.3's and plan to shoot almost wide open.
Has anyone have any experience with that particular configuration.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

francisco

#2 Chayse Irvin

Chayse Irvin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:03 PM

I'll be shooting a project with the F900 and i was considering using the Pro35, however, i'm a bit concern about issues with seeing the ground glass grain when projecting on a big screen.

francisco

I did a feature with the Pro35 + Varicam. I ran into major issues with focus shooting at a T2 on Cooke S4's, it is very very shallow and depending on they lens and pace of shooting it may be too much for your focus puller... and I had great focus pullers. But keep in mind that if you close down past T2.8 you will start to add grain. When raising the contrast in post it will bring out the ground glass's grain and it is very ugly and distracting because its oscillating in a pattern and isn't random. The pro35 is susceptible to breaking down in the cold and does not photograph very bright objects well... like snow. I wont shoot Pro35 again if its for a film out, on the small screen the footage looks amazing tho.

#3 Thatcher Kelley

Thatcher Kelley

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Seattle, WA

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:57 PM

francisco

I just finished shooting a short on the F900 w/ the pro35 and zeiss 1.3s. It turned out great. The adapter gives the camera a softer look than with say digiprimes, but as far as grain goes, if you keep your lens open and don't forget to turn on the ground glass vibration, then the video noise is far more noticable than the adapter's grain.

Focus is difficult, but doable. My AC has very little experience pulling for 35mm depth of field, but he did a great job. Ya just gotta be careful and take your time. Lighting was tough. be ready to suck amps like there is no tomorrow.

peace,
thatcher

#4 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:23 AM

I did a feature with the Pro35 + Varicam. I ran into major issues with focus shooting at a T2 on Cooke S4's, it is very very shallow and depending on they lens and pace of shooting it may be too much for your focus puller... and I had great focus pullers.

No offense, but if your focus pullers couldn't handle a T2, then they may not have been the caliber of focus pullers you thought they were. I'm assuming of course that since you were on Cooke S4's you weren't using anything longer than a 180mm, and probably not longer than 100mm. Correct?

CineTape

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

The Slider

CineLab

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Tai Audio

Glidecam