#1 Marta Bobic

Marta Bobic
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Student
  • London

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:32 PM

I need a fairly small soundstage in or near London to shoot 5 30-second commercials in. I'm pretty aware of the larger studios but was wondering what the lesser-known options are, or where's best for something of this size. The budget is decent and the sets won't be too elaborate, something like a theatre stage or a school hall stage would be set up, and the lighting requirements are also pretty modest. The commercials would be shot on HD most likely, and it needs to be done around the start of November, which I am aware is rather soon! As this is a production for a large US agency with a pretty big client, it needs to be worth flying people over to the UK for, ie. a well-run good quality studio where things will go smoothly on their end. So any advice or suggestions would be hugely appreciated! Thanks!

Marta

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11941 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:26 PM

Hi,

Download the Studios List here:

http://www.filmlondo...p;ArticleID=697

But off the top of my head:

Pinewood
Shepperton
Three Mills
Elstree
Leavesden
Black Island
Twickenham
Ealing
Bray

Phil

#3 Marta Bobic

Marta Bobic
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Student
  • London

Posted 07 October 2006 - 02:33 PM

Thanks, that's very helpful!

Marta.

#4 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 07 October 2006 - 04:36 PM

Black Island and Duke Island Studios are both owned by huge lighting rental company AFM. They're in Acton, so they're the closest to town of the studios on Phil's list, which is handy if you need to get talent and crew out there fast (and cheap). Black Island is pretty big with its 6 stages and they can cater to just about any need.

Haven't shot in Bray, but it's still up and running. Lot's of history there - it's where all the Hammer horrors were shot.

Shepperton and Pinewood - what else is there to add? It's sacred ground for any film buff. Just about every classic movie ever made was shot there. When I shot at Shepperton I couldn't get over the fact that this was where they shot Alien. I rememeber thinking in the canteen that "this is where Ridley and Sigourney sat and ate...". Or that "on this stage the shot the process plates for that scene". Silly stuff, I know, but that's how I felt. Both are obviously very established and professional studios that you can't go wrong with.

In Shepperton you've also got a smaller studio called Halliford Studios, which might be right for your project. There are also some smaller stages scattered around London. Denmark Studios, for instance, is a small place (maybe to small if you need to build a hallway) in north London (Grange Park) that have their own lighting at the studio, so they're quite handy. And the guy who owns it is a nice fellow.

#5 Marta Bobic

Marta Bobic
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Student
  • London

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:39 AM

Thanks for the info, Adam! I think I'll give Denmark Studios a call- it sounds perfect for this- there's no hallway involved, just a simple stage with a couple of actors as it's a fairly stripped-down comedy deal. See, it's quite short notice the big ones are mostly booked up, so I think my chances are better there, and the owner being nice is a major bonus. At the end of the day, anywhere will be better than paying the LCC to use their practically gravel-floored (but available) studio- I really wouldn't want to take any production there, though the guy that runs it is lovely and is certainly wasted there. I'll definitely check out Black Island and Duke Island too.

As for the Shepperton part- I agree, it's lovely there. And in my experience everyone there is so helpful, which I'm genuinely suprised with these days. Sad, I know!

Thanks again!

Wooden Camera

CineLab

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

CineTape

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Abel Cine