#1 Charles Haine

Charles Haine
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Colorist
  • New York

Posted 10 October 2006 - 02:53 PM

So, I was let into a festival with the promise that they screened "everything, D5, HDCAM, whatever you've got." I shot my short 35mm, and mastered it to HDCAM and D5.

Now they are telling me they only screen HDV.

My question: Should I output my HD version from Final Cut to an HDV camera, and project that, or should I show my Digi-Beta? I'm personally leaning towards showing the digi-beta, for the color space, but I would appreciate any feedback you have.

thanks,
Charles Haine

#2 Chris Burke

Chris Burke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1675 posts
  • Boston, MA

Posted 10 October 2006 - 03:32 PM

So, I was let into a festival with the promise that they screened "everything, D5, HDCAM, whatever you've got." I shot my short 35mm, and mastered it to HDCAM and D5.

My question: Should I output my HD version from Final Cut to an HDV camera, and project that, or should I show my Digi-Beta? I'm personally leaning towards showing the digi-beta, for the color space, but I would appreciate any feedback you have.

thanks,
Charles Haine

I am going through a similar experience where I shot on Super 16 and have a HD master as well as Digi-Beta screeners. Many projectionist that I have spoken with say, when in doubt, go with Digi-Beta. It is a tried and true format, HDV is a consumer format that is very young. Which festival did you get into?

Chris

#3 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:26 PM

thanks,
Charles Haine

Hi,

Is it an action film? The reason why I ask is HDV compression has a problem with movement but looks stunning if the camera is fairly still.

Stephen

#4 Thanasis Diamantopoulos

Thanasis Diamantopoulos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • greece

Posted 10 October 2006 - 05:02 PM

thanks,
Charles Haine

Hi
I dont realy understand if they are only screening hdv do they acceptet digibeta?
BTW even if i like digibetas colors vs hdvs you must thing that the screening system in the festival
must be "calibrated" to hdv, sking for it.

#5 Sam Wells

Sam Wells
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:55 AM

Hi, just saw a piece in the New York Film Festival, 16mm > HDCam transfer, projected with HD projector (I don't know which) from HDV tape, looked fantastic.

-Sam

#6 David Cox

David Cox
  • Sustaining Members
  • 323 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • london, UK

Posted 12 October 2006 - 05:59 PM

I'm not in the least bit a fan of HDV BUT....

HDV compression is an enemy to post production, not necessarily to "final delivery". Compressed final delivery is normally fine, because the compression used is designed to be as invisible to the human eye as possible. On the other hand, HDV shot material lacks a lot of the data that our computer based post systems want to get their teeth into for grading, keying, tracking etc.

So I would say (and agreeing with Stephen re fast motion) that projecting from HDV should be fine within reason, but you wouldn't want to use it as a mastering format during post production or where your "master" tape might be used for future editing or effects work.

David Cox
Baraka Post Production
www.baraka.co.uk

#7 Sam Wells

Sam Wells
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:37 PM

So I would say (and agreeing with Stephen re fast motion) that projecting from HDV should be fine within reason, but you wouldn't want to use it as a mastering format during post production or where your "master" tape might be used for future editing or effects work.www.baraka.co.uk

Of course not (I hope I didn't imply as much) but that wasn't the question.

-Sam

#8 Charles Haine

Charles Haine
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Colorist
  • New York

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:28 AM

thanks a lot for all that really helpful info: my suspicion was that the compression drawbacks of HDV were worse as a capture format, but it might be worth it to screen on it (when compared to Digi-Beta, the extra resolution would be worth it), and you guys seem to agree. Very thorough and intelligent answers.

Since we mastered to D5, hopefully the downconvert will look good.

Regarding a bit of confusion: I meant to say the only HD format they can show is HDV; they can show all sorts of SD formats.

thanks again,
chuck

#9 Sam Wells

Sam Wells
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:39 AM

I would be inclined to chance it with the HDV - hope I'm not steering you wrong --- really I'd be more concerned with the projector. Is it really an HD machine ?

(I'm still trying to find out what projector the Walter Reade was using)

-Sam

#10 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 October 2006 - 11:03 AM

I am confused as to how they are projecting an hdv source, as i have never come across an hdv deck with hd sdi out and i don't know of any projectors that take hdv via firewire or hdmi?? could it be that they have a sony hdv deck which can output an sdi sd downconvert? in which case i would go with digibeta.

keith

#11 Michael Most

Michael Most
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Other

Posted 13 October 2006 - 12:12 PM

I am confused as to how they are projecting an hdv source, as i have never come across an hdv deck with hd sdi out and i don't know of any projectors that take hdv via firewire or hdmi?? could it be that they have a sony hdv deck which can output an sdi sd downconvert? in which case i would go with digibeta.

I believe the Sony units (at least one of them) have component out. Most projectors can take analog component inputs.

#12 David Cox

David Cox
  • Sustaining Members
  • 323 posts
  • Digital Image Technician
  • london, UK

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:35 PM

I believe the Sony units (at least one of them) have component out. Most projectors can take analog component inputs.

...yes, or through a firewire to HD SDI converter such as a Miranda converter.

David Cox
Baraka Post Production
www.baraka.co.uk

#13 Sam Wells

Sam Wells
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1751 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:24 AM

(I'm still trying to find out what projector the Walter Reade was using)

-Sam

Found out: Christie Roadster S6. 3 chip DLP with "Dark Chips"

-Sam

#14 Keith Mottram

Keith Mottram
  • Sustaining Members
  • 824 posts
  • Other

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:22 AM

I could be wrong but I thought that the component out was only sd. can anyone confirm?

Glidecam

Wooden Camera

CineLab

Aerial Filmworks

Tai Audio

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Rig Wheels Passport