#1 Jon Rosenbloom

Jon Rosenbloom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 11 October 2006 - 05:28 PM

Couple questions:

I've got the SDX-900 w/ the most basic Fujinon news lens. I've imagined a little scene from the little film I'm shooting should be done w/ a #1 BPM filter. I'm told this is now a greenscreen scene. Will the heavy diffusion hinder the compositing?

What possible advantage could my employer have in transferring our DVC-Pro 50 footage to Digi-Beta and then digitizing to Final Cut? (Besides back-up) Why not just rent the pro50 deck? Wouldn't the price of 10 digi-beta tapes equal the rental on the deck for a day?

Thanks

J...

#2 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 11 October 2006 - 08:35 PM

Couple questions:

I've got the SDX-900 w/ the most basic Fujinon news lens. I've imagined a little scene from the little film I'm shooting should be done w/ a #1 BPM filter. I'm told this is now a greenscreen scene. Will the heavy diffusion hinder the compositing?

What possible advantage could my employer have in transferring our DVC-Pro 50 footage to Digi-Beta and then digitizing to Final Cut? (Besides back-up) Why not just rent the pro50 deck? Wouldn't the price of 10 digi-beta tapes equal the rental on the deck for a day?

Thanks

J...

Could he have meant he wanted to record the SDI output of the camera w/ a Digibeta deck? That would raise it from 8-bit (on cam recording) to 10-bit 4:2:2 which would be better for greenscreen.

As far as the BPM filter, it would make the greenscreen edge bloom onto your subject so I'd do that effect in post.

#3 Mark Allen

Mark Allen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles

Posted 11 October 2006 - 10:11 PM

I've done GS work off the SDX900 and found that you really fight the compression still. Not as bad as DV per se, but not a lot better. If you could record those out to something else, that would make keying life easier. The HVX200 at 1080 (100 mbs) is much much easier to key than sdx900.

#4 Jon Rosenbloom

Jon Rosenbloom
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 13 October 2006 - 01:32 PM

I'm pretty certain they're going to dub the camera tapes to digi-beta ... which strikes me as unnecessary.

As for the greenscreen, I appreciate the advice and will certainly keep it mind for the next shoot, but this a one camera production. We thought about shooting w/ the hvx and the P2 cards so we could work in 4:2:2, but they were a little nervous about the data storage, and I don't have the experience w/ that system to assuage their worries.

Thanks,

J

Paralinx LLC

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Opal