#1 Ashim

Ashim
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 October 2006 - 12:05 AM

Hi,

I need to take a shot where a man is running up the staircase in a frantic manner, enters the terrace,
runs to the edge of the bilding before plunging 30 storeys down.

Now all this needs to be done in a single take with no cuts and we want the whole motion to be absolutely
fluid, as though the camera were suspended in midair and following the talent. Also when the talent plunges
from the building the camera should follow him all the way down till his crash!!!

Any ideas on how shld I accomplish such a shot.

Thank You.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19760 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:16 AM

I'd basically say that you can't do it unless you have a lot of money.

You have to digitally merge three separate camera moves basically: (1) a steadicam following the man up the staircase and out onto the terrace; (2) a remote-head crane, maybe a telescoping one like a Technocrane, moving across the roof and over the edge, then pointing down and starting to descend; (3) a camera on a descender wire rig lowering down to the ground, with a possible speed change in-camera or in post to achieve falling velocity.

The three moves would have to match each other's heads & tails perfectly as possible and then be digitally morphed and cleaned-up in post to create a single move; the real person would disappear after Shot #1 ends. You'd have to transition from a real person running up the stairs and across the roof in #1 to a CGI person probably jumping over and falling down after you had stitched together the three moves.

Section #3 where the camera lowers on a descender rig could in theory be following a stuntman on a descender rig, but you'd still have to replace him with a CGI person for the end of the shot when he impacts the ground, plus probably need some CGI to fill-in the gap between the real person running across the roof to the stuntman falling, probably with the CGI stunt person doing the initial leap, which is why it probably makes more sense to just use a CGI figure for the entire jump & fall since it has to end in a violent stop. Unless you can have a run up a staircase and across a roof using a stuntman who then leaps over and then falls a short distance onto a lower roof with an airbag, so the CGI person just has to take over the fall. But then you'd be creating the whole dropping past the building with CGI or miniatures as well to replace the view of the airbag.

All of this is beyond the budget of any film I've ever shot to date... and if you're just trying to learn the basics of shooting miniatures, how are you going to handle such an advanced effects shot like this?

#3 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 12 October 2006 - 01:58 AM

Hi,

I need to take a shot where a man is running up the staircase in a frantic manner, enters the terrace,
runs to the edge of the bilding before plunging 30 storeys down.

Now all this needs to be done in a single take with no cuts and we want the whole motion to be absolutely
fluid, as though the camera were suspended in midair and following the talent. Also when the talent plunges
from the building the camera should follow him all the way down till his crash!!!

Any ideas on how shld I accomplish such a shot.

Thank You.

Ashim,

CGI?

Stephen

#4 Delorme Jean-Marie

Delorme Jean-Marie
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • paris, france

Posted 12 October 2006 - 02:33 AM

less expensive and less conventional :
a stunt operator chasing the talent with a light weigth cam on a helmet (base jumper style), a short lense and a big jump!!!! watch for the crash lending, if it's a 30 store bilding he may have a base jump parachutte.

ps : i doubled checked my agenda but cannot ,unfortunatly, find a day available to do the job ;)

#5 Ashim

Ashim
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:12 AM

Ha Ha

Thank you Jean, lemme know when u can

#6 Ashim

Ashim
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:23 AM

David

Thank You very much for such a clear and concise description.
I wanted to learn how do you mix live action shots with CGI shots.
No one back here gave a very convincing suggestion. Going ahead with
what they said was making the whole sequence look tacky and inconvincing in my mind's screen.

Yours is just the way I wanted.

Thanks.

Also, wont a motion control rig come in handy with these kind of sequences.

#7 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19760 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:46 AM

Also, wont a motion control rig come in handy with these kind of sequences.

Normally for matching shots that need to be stitched together, motion control would help except that there's no way to run up a staircase with motion control and it would be hard to make one that descends several stories straight down either, so that just leaves the roof-top portion and thus hardly worth it if the shot before and after can't be motion control.

#8 Stuart McCammon

Stuart McCammon
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Producer

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:48 PM

Just a suggestion - a long, fluid shot might not even be the best if you are trying to build suspense and/or heighten action. How about a low-budget version:

1. You find a circular staircase and shoot a static shot of the guy running upstairs with the camera pointing straight down from a jib arm (the jib arm would place the camera suspended in mid-air in the center of the staircase).
2. As the guy gets to the top, sweep the camera up and across in front of him (actor running toward the camera now), stopping wherever you hit the limits of your jib. The actor can stop and look frantically around or breathe hard.
3. Switch to a reverse angle and dolly in with him as he bursts through the door to the roof (probably a different location)
4. Reverse angles (outside, on the roof now, maybe a new location) as he stops again and looks for where he can go. Pan and dolly with him again as he runs by the camera toward the edge of the roof.
5. Reverse up angle on actor as he runs toward the camera (fake edge of roof in bottom of shot) and jumps.
6. Street scene with car in frame, dummy crashes into car.
7. Down angle, zoom in on bloody actor laying on crushed car.

For that you would need a jib, dolly, dummy and a junk car - I'm thinking under $1,000 for the whole thing?

Just a thought)

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

CineTape

Tai Audio

Opal

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Paralinx LLC