Dave Stiles

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student
  • Olympia, WA

Posted 12 October 2006 - 02:03 AM

Here's my first attempt at a wildlife video. Its short and sweet as I am limited to under four minutes of project time for class. I used footage I took while in Yellowstone, which was shot through a Nikon Spotting scope using a Nikon ccd eyepiece replacement and a Canon ZR75 palmcorder as a recording deck. No audio was captured in the field and the distance to the den site was approximately 1/4 of a mile, shooting across the main roadway.

It was saved as a quicktime file and has been loaded on my college website.
http://academic.ever...lCoyotePups.mov

Any and all feedback is appreciated.

#2 Jon-Hebert Barto

Jon-Hebert Barto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:14 PM

there are basically 5 shots in this. the 3rd one is way too long and made me want stop watching. in other words it was boring. 4 min. felt like 20. i'm talking about coverage, here. but you were all by your lonesome, correct? and very far away...not too much you can do to save this i'm affraid.

instead, get a friend or two together with their videocameras so you can get more coverage. go to your nearest park/reserve/camping destination and you'll have much more to film. editing this for four min. length will be much better. birds in trees, turtles in the pond, rabbits in the feild, snakes, deer, etc.......all in one place. every state has these types of destinations. i'm from Texas so maybe i'm spoiled? oh, next time you are in yellowstone and shoot a nature vid you best get a nice wide shot inside the park to show off the scene.....waste of a natural 'set'. never waste an oppertunity like that again. you shoot video so there is never an excuse to have so little footage, even for 4 min.

best-Jonnie

#3 Dave Stiles

Dave Stiles

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Student
  • Olympia, WA

Posted 12 October 2006 - 07:49 PM

Thanks for the helpful critque Jon.

Yes, I was alone in the park, using a spotting scope to shoot 1/4 of a mile away, so as not to disturb the den site and bring on the wraith of the Rangers and the associated fines for violating park policies.

This was completed as an assignment in animal behavior for my wildlife biology program as extra credit. There was no way to include wider shots as the lens on the palmcorder was cracked and at that point I could not replace the camcorder in the field. Hence its use as a recording deck only.

In the National park system if there are more than 2 people involved in shooting the scene, whatever their role, there is a daily fee to be obtaining video. Last I knew it was $100 per day, whether footage is obtained or not. I'll be returning to the same site this spring with an XL2 and will take your critique and comments into account. The next version shouldn't be as boring ... and yes, I'll be shooting alone again.

Thanks

#4 Jon-Hebert Barto

Jon-Hebert Barto
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 October 2006 - 08:00 PM

Sweet! post again when you're finished, I'd like to see it. If it is strictly a wildlife bio film I understand your limits. But if you want to make a nice pictorial doc, it could be done with your xl2. Just remember, we as the audience can only know about the beautiful environment if you show it to us. We only know what we are shown. Good luck!

-Jonnie

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera

FJS International, LLC

Tai Audio

Rig Wheels Passport

Abel Cine

Paralinx LLC

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam