#1 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 13 October 2006 - 07:49 PM

As you may or may not know, I've just purchased a Sanyo CME 1100 from eBay, and I noticed it has Dichroid, or Dual-Beam Focusing, I know that when this camera is out if focus it will display a Orange or Blue 'Ghost' image, but what actually makes it work, I'm really interested.

Thanks for any answers,
Matthew Buick

#2 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:04 PM

Anyone ? :(

#3 Eric Dinger

Eric Dinger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Student

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:43 PM

I don't know for sure, but this sounds simmiler to the way a rangefinder works. Is the camera reflex?

Anyways there are two lenses, one you view straight through. It has a semi-silvered(semi-transparent) mirror set in the path that you look through. There is another lens, behind this one is a regular mirror that can pivot back and forth, the image is bounced from this mirror to the semi-silvered mirror and shows up as a ghost image in as you look through the first lens.

The pivoting mirror is connected to the lens in such a away that when you focus the lens the pivots. It will change the location of the ghost image and when it lines up with the real image the lens is focused. I hope that didn't confuse you too much, it's kind of hard to explain. And it could not be how your camera works, I havn't heard the term Dichroid focusing before.

#4 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:25 AM

I don't know for sure, but this sounds simmiler to the way a rangefinder works. Is the camera reflex?

Anyways there are two lenses, one you view straight through. It has a semi-silvered(semi-transparent) mirror set in the path that you look through. There is another lens, behind this one is a regular mirror that can pivot back and forth, the image is bounced from this mirror to the semi-silvered mirror and shows up as a ghost image in as you look through the first lens.

The pivoting mirror is connected to the lens in such a away that when you focus the lens the pivots. It will change the location of the ghost image and when it lines up with the real image the lens is focused. I hope that didn't confuse you too much, it's kind of hard to explain. And it could not be how your camera works, I havn't heard the term Dichroid focusing before.

The camera is a reflex camera.

There seems to be two Dichroid lenses, when I cover up the one on the left you can see only a yellow ghost image, and if you cover up the one on the right you can see only the blue ghost image.
There aren't many cameras with Dichroid Focusing, tis extremly rare.
You have to press a second trigger in order to be able to view the Dichroid screen, it's a really wierd camera.

Anyways, thanks for all your help.

-Me

Paralinx LLC

Tai Audio

Glidecam

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

FJS International, LLC