1 reply to this topic

#1 Michael Summers

Michael Summers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Director

Posted 14 October 2006 - 12:13 AM

I'm trying to find out what camera and lenses this show was shot with.. whether its foreign and i have access to it here in new york to rent for a film i'm shooting in the spring. any other technical specs would be helpful too!

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 14 October 2006 - 12:43 PM

It was just shot in ordinary Kodak 16mm color negative, 7254 (100 ASA, tungsten), the only Kodak color negative stock at the time. In the U.S. in the early 1970's, we were still mostly using color reversal in 16mm (mainly 25 ASA ECO) but in Europe, color negative had begun to take over in 16mm.

I'm not sure it matters which modern color negative stock you use, but something in the 250 to 500 ASA range would be similar to '54 stock of the early 1970's in terms of graininess. Maybe Fuji Eterna 250T would be a close match, but it really depends on what you are matching to. An old movie can be copied and transferred in so many ways. I'm sure that the blow-ups to 35mm released in the theaters in the 1970's look different than the new video transfer shown on DVD today, and on standard def video, you can't really judge the true grain and sharpness of the original anyway.

CineLab

Metropolis Post

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

Abel Cine

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Glidecam