#1 Andrew Spirk

Andrew Spirk
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Student
  • Cleveland

Posted 14 October 2006 - 03:41 PM

I've searched the forum and I've yet to find the specific answers that I'm looking for.

Here's my equipment:

K-3 with TCS Sync from 12, 18, 24, 30 and 48 fps. Altered for super 16 by duall.
Kodak vision2 stock from Spectra labs, 50D, 250D, 100T, 500T and 100D Reversal.
Two light meters, a Minolta Auto Meter IVF and a Gossen Ultra-Spot.

My question is this; do I need to do any thing special to use these meters? They both support cine modes, but are these applicable to 16mm? Am I over thinking this? I'd like to accurately meter my scenes both indoors and outdoors, but I've never used these meters for motion film.

Down to the bare question, what do I need to do to use these meters correctly, can I use the cine mode on them and expect accurate results (or are there settings that I cannot access that I would need).

Thanks again!

#2 Morgan Peline

Morgan Peline
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 October 2006 - 05:35 PM

Hi,

Set your film speed and fps and just go.

As long as the meters have been looked after and are in good working order, they should be fine.

Now obviously where you meter, how you light, and what stop you decide to put on the camera, now that takes experience...

;)

#3 Andrew Spirk

Andrew Spirk
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Student
  • Cleveland

Posted 14 October 2006 - 07:56 PM

Just what I wanted to hear. I just went out and shot 30 meters of 250D Vision2 stock with my Ultra-Spot and basically did what you just said. I can only hope that things went well. I'll post some stills if I get a chance.

Now, I've got some wine to get to. Thanks!

#4 Rupe Whiteman

Rupe Whiteman
  • Sustaining Members
  • 336 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 15 October 2006 - 01:24 PM

... the minolta vf is a good meter for cinematography. You just set the frame rate and iso and you're off...

And if you do a google search on how to use a lightmeter you should find a very useful piece written by Gerald Hirschfeld...

Hope this helps,

Rupe Whiteman

#5 Andrew Spirk

Andrew Spirk
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Student
  • Cleveland

Posted 15 October 2006 - 08:35 PM

... the minolta vf is a good meter for cinematography. You just set the frame rate and iso and you're off...

And if you do a google search on how to use a lightmeter you should find a very useful piece written by Gerald Hirschfeld...

Hope this helps,

Rupe Whiteman

Thanks very much, I will look into Mr. Hirschfeld. I needed that reassurance about the vf, I was just not sure if it could be trusted or not considering that I've mainly used it for photography for years. I am concerned about one thing though, when I take the dome off, on the little sensor glass there is a small off-color smudge, it does not seem to be cleanable. Would this adversely affect the metering, it seems to match almost seamlessly to my Ultra-Spot. I feel it is reliable, but am not absolute.

Aerial Filmworks

Glidecam

CineLab

Tai Audio

Metropolis Post

Technodolly

Abel Cine

Ritter Battery

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Wooden Camera