#1 Adam Frisch FSF

Adam Frisch FSF
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2009 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, USA

Posted 17 October 2006 - 03:07 PM

This is my review of the film from IMDb (minor spoilers):

I consider myself to be normally intelligent, but I wouldn't call myself an intellectual. So imagine how pleased I was when I spotted the Brief Encounter reference the minute it came up (the fact that it's one of my favourite movies obviously had something to do with it). The rest, however, sadly went a bit over my, well not head, but eyebrow? Or maybe I was just bored. I understood all of it, but I'm not sure it was worth understanding - exactly what was the point of this film?

There were no lessons learned here for our characters and the one dramatic opportunity that presented itself - the interviews of the pupils for the Oxbridge admissions boards - were completely ignored and just bypassed.

Although the performances are commendable from all involved (Griffiths and De La Tour in particular), this is filmed theatre - there is absolutely no visual storytelling going on here. Which would have been fine had the story, and the dialogue, actually had something to say. Sadly, it didn't. This should have stayed a successful play.

End review.

The film was shot on 16mm Fuji by Andrew Dunn, BSC. Normally he's a quite a solid and prolific fellow that delivers good work (really liked his The Count Of Monte Cristo), but this one misses the mark. It looks totally unlit. Which could have added to the feel and been cool in an Elephant-Savides kinda way, but here it's just grainy, fleshy (my god, haven't seen fleshier and more unappealing skin tones ever, I think). It looks completely ungraded - as if you were watching dailies. Probably has something to do with the format it was shot on and maybe the schedule (you can feel it's a low budget production), but still...... :(

#2 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:22 PM

Merely watching the trailer was enough to put me off of this one. Can't stand plays that get turned into films.

#3 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:43 PM

What a shame. I saw this play last year and really enjoyed it, and I've been looking forward to seeing how it worked as a film - and just to have the opportunity to see it again, in whatever medium. It explores the whole question of what is the purpose of education (as distinct from training, or coaching, or studying, or gaining skills, etc), as well as the portrait of Richard Griffiths' character seeing the world he has quietly lived his life in finally changed beyond his understanding. I think - as a play at least - it had plenty to say.

I guess I'll have to wait a while to see it here. Then decide whether it's "cinematic" or not.

#4 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:11 AM

Merely watching the trailer was enough to put me off of this one. Can't stand plays that get turned into films.

I don't know, Amadeus didn't come out too bad neather did Chicago. The Odd Couple was a Great movie so was South Pacific. Grease and The Caine Mutiny Courtmarshall seemed to work as a films as did Hamlet and a Midsummer Night's Deam. Plays can make fantastic films if done right AND if it's the right play

#5 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 18 October 2006 - 03:28 AM

............neither did Chicago...........

Hi, Capt.

An interesting tidbit about the movie version of "Chicago". Before it came out the producers of the Broadway revival were thinking of closing the show - audiences had been tapering off. The movie got a entire new bunch of people interested in seeing the Broadway show version, including their kids, and the show's still running.

How's your DIY film processor coming?

Hal

#6 Anatole Sloan

Anatole Sloan
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Director

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:21 AM

It's a pity hear that. I've read the History Boys and enjoyed it very much; perhaps it would strange as a film because there isn't a very complex plot on the surface, i.e. beginning, middle, end - but I would still say it was a great piece of work as a play. Why is it that a film with such a structure is so incredibly hard to make entertaining?

I'd still like to see it though.

Anatole

#7 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 18 October 2006 - 04:39 PM

Hi, Capt.

An interesting tidbit about the movie version of "Chicago". Before it came out the producers of the Broadway revival were thinking of closing the show - audiences had been tapering off. The movie got a entire new bunch of people interested in seeing the Broadway show version, including their kids, and the show's still running.

How's your DIY film processor coming?

Hal

Huh, didn't know that. It's kinda a shame that it takes a movie to get people to go to the theater though.

It's coming along. I'm modifying a room in my home to put the equipment in. It's a lot easier to keep dust free that my studio. I've been working a lot, trying to raise some money for a 35mm project I want to shoot so I'm going to have to devote more time to getting it ready so I can process my film and dailies. I plan to also put my flat beds, step printer and video editing equipment in there so it's going to be a tight fit, but I figure with a lot of pre-planning I should be able to make it work. I do have to run plumbing and 220 for the processor into the room as well but I've got a guy so it shouldn't be too expensive or that much of a problem to accopmlish. there's a bath right next to the room so I'll just tap into the water and sewer lines from that. I salvaged a set of beautiful exterior french doors which I plan to install. That will let me get the stuff into the room easily. With a little bit of luck, I'll have it ready to rock by spring, then all I have to do is figure out how in the Hell to actually PROCESS film :D . I plan to buy Dominic's book and the guy I bought the machine from gave me very detailed written instructions and said he would be happy to help me with any questions or problems I might have so I think I should be fine. How are things going with you?- B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly, 18 October 2006 - 04:42 PM.

Aerial Filmworks

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Ritter Battery

Visual Products

Tai Audio

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc