6 replies to this topic

#1 Keneu Luca

Keneu Luca
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Other

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:06 PM

I've been doing some of my own tech rehearsals with my arri s. Hand held fluid shots. It's becoming quite a ballet. I'm getting pretty good at simulating stedi-cam fluidity, that is, as much as one can on their own.

But for some shots in my upcoming short, I will have my 400' mag fully loaded and some shots may last up to 2 minutes.

My muscles are telling me I should invest in a support mount/harness.

I've seen the traditional Arri S shoulder support mounts. But there are also third party mounts out there, although they may be more geared toward video.

This has got to be one of the biggest drawbacks with the Arri S. How did they not see this when they first made the thing? Ehhhh...it's still an amazing camera. I'll let it slide.

Any suggestions? Experience?

Thanks.

#2 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:21 AM

Stick a Zeiss 8mm on that puppy, with a 200 ft mag and have at it.

I love hand holding that camera, though I usually do it with the 100 ft internal load.

I've got a set of 200 ft mags and a 200 ft torque motor, so it ain't that bad. You don't even need to use the periscope eyepiece with the 200 ft mags.

There are a few shoulder mounts for the camera. I think Cavision up in Canada makes one, you can see it on their web site.

If it were me, I'd try to find a way to shoot with the 100 ft internal loads. That or get a dolly if you have to use the 400 ft mag.

-Tim

#3 Keneu Luca

Keneu Luca
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 October 2006 - 01:20 AM

Thanks Tim, I knew youd reply first.

I have a Zeiss 8mm and that is what ill be using.

I dont know. Im going to continue to consider my options. Ill check with Cavision.

Thanks again.

#4 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:28 AM

Keneu,

I sent you a PM about the 200 ft set up.

Think I may have steered you wrong with the Cavision thing. Hadn't looked at their site in a long time and what I remembered them having for the Arri S was not correct. I thought they had a shoulder support system, but they only have this, which would weigh more than what you have now.

Posted Image

-Tim

PS: Just re-read your initial post, you do know that you can get a two minute shot out of a 100 foot internal load, don't you?

#5 Keneu Luca

Keneu Luca
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 440 posts
  • Other

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:25 AM

Hey Tim

Cavision has support stuff.
http://www.cavision....rods/RS1580.htm

And yeah, I could get a 2 minute shot with the internal load. But I failed to mention in my original post that Ill be using 400' loads of a discontinued stock I already have. And I guess I could spool down, although Ive yet to do that. But I also want to keep 400 cuz if (and when) I screw up the shot, I dont have to worry about doing the math and salavging the small remainder of the 100 foot reel, then removing and storing and labeling etc, etc.

Its much easier with a 400 footer.

The shot involves many things that need to go right. I expect chaos.

I do have one or two of this stock on a 100' reel. So maybe after I practice the shot more, Ill be more comfortable, although it requires more than just my precison.......the actor as well, of course.

And as I make my shot list, I find that there will be about 3 more shots that last over a minute at least.

I don't know. I have 4 reels of the 400'. Maybe Ill spool down one of them.

Thanks man.

#6 Mitch Gross

Mitch Gross
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2873 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:41 PM

Is this finishing to print or video? When I had to handhold the Arri S w/400' mag I'd flip that whole puppy upside down and wedge it against my shoulder. Worked great for me back in the day. You'd need to with flipping the image in post (or run the camera in reverse, which can become a bit of a deal in post if going to print), but if you're going to go to a transfer you can do the flip in the telecine.

#7 Kenny N Suleimanagich

Kenny N Suleimanagich
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:24 AM

Is this finishing to print or video? When I had to handhold the Arri S w/400' mag I'd flip that whole puppy upside down and wedge it against my shoulder. Worked great for me back in the day. You'd need to with flipping the image in post (or run the camera in reverse, which can become a bit of a deal in post if going to print), but if you're going to go to a transfer you can do the flip in the telecine.

hahahahhahahahhaha, now THATS dedication

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Metropolis Post

Opal

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Technodolly