#1 Samuel Colclough

Samuel Colclough
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:40 AM

Hey Guys, this is my first post so let me say a few things. I stumbled upon this web site while researching cameras. My instincts tell me this is an amazing place!! I'm 23 years old and I think I finally know what I want to do with my life, which is make music videos. Well, I have a long way to go!! So, blah blah blah, here is my first film:

Freestyle Reality
90+ mins
the worlds first hacky sack / kung fu video (not movie hehe)
shot with multiple consumer grade cameras

Posted Image

embeded in the index of http://www.69samurai.com or 1 gig avi at:
http://www.69samurai.com/vid/fr2.avi (xvid)

This project was made over the course of two years. I wrote directed edited etc. I started it in film 101 and learned to make mistakes the hard way. Theres a scene with a dirty lens even. OMG thats embarresing. but its in the middle of the 90+ minutes so ... if you make it that far it probably wont deter you LOL. Whoa, my intelligence level is dropping so let me try again.

I think that my strengths are my creativity and my camera work. Most of the movie was made on the fly, as in unscripted, which is why it is somewhat disjointed, but it took a shape of its own and comes together in the end really well. In my humble oppinion that is.

Some things I learned:

make sure the lens is clean
dont try to be in your own movie (it was fun killing my character early)
and a lot of other stuff

I am having so much GLEEE (yes glee) reading the information here at www.cinematography.com. I am really excited to be here and I look forward to learning from you amazing people.

This video that I made has a lot of bads to it, bad acting, bad lighting sometimes, akward continuity at times, but there are a few parts that REALLY shine I think.

I please ask you to watch these time indexes because I think they demonstraight why I should pursue a career in video:

The fightscene at 0:12:00!!! and the one right afterwards at 13:30
The chase scene at 28:00 It was fun cutting different locations together to make it look like the same place.
The magical making of a hacky sack and timetravel at 30:29 Yo, ahhah you'll love this im sure.

"oh man, this story is gonna take a while!!!!"

35:29 is beautiful
51:35 i actually created a nice emotion of fear i think...

With the best scenes that I have ever made being:
54:21 this was pure magic!
1:17:12 the final battle
1:22:35 crazy hacky sack

Well, I know this is a long, unrefined post, but thats the kind of person I am. At least I can bask in the glory of some of the well organized intelligent posts by intelligent well organized people that I have seen here. (I'm totally not being sarcastic... and this isnt sarcasm either.)

Thank you so much for every criticism you give me that helps me become a better person. Thank you so much for every compliment that makes me love the ART OF THIS MEDIUM!

My name is Sam and I hope you enjoy my work.

Peace.

rebotnix Technologies

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam

Tai Audio

Abel Cine

CineTape

The Slider

Technodolly

CineLab