• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:45 AM

I caught this one yesterday here in London. Probably the costume design and cinematography are the best thing about it. There were some very nice painterly shots with a nice texture. Although the Cooke S2/S3s looked fine on close-ups, I found them a bit too soft on anything wider than a medium shot. S4s would have probably been a better choice for wider shots.

As for the film itself, it's your typical Sofia Coppola story about spoilt rich teenagers who have it all and still are depressed. I'm afraid I can't find anything interesting in such characters and in the episodic way the story is told. It struck me that you could cut out almost any scene and it wouldn't change a thing! Especially since the film didn't go into any depths about the characters psychology and instead depicted it all as one big decadent party.

And showing them getting decapitated at the end, now that much reality would just spoil the party, wouldn't it?

#2 Kevin Masuda

Kevin Masuda
  • Sustaining Members
  • 209 posts
  • Director

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:44 PM

I'll probably go see it just for the cinematography, the story didn't at all sound very captivating to me. I read that Lance Acord ASC used 5229 underexposed 1-2 stops for interiors and 5205 for exteriors, interested to see the '29.

Kev

#3 Giles Sherwood

Giles Sherwood
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2006 - 12:11 AM

How well did you think the anachronistic soundtrack worked?

#4 Kevin Masuda

Kevin Masuda
  • Sustaining Members
  • 209 posts
  • Director

Posted 03 November 2006 - 04:24 PM

I just saw this yesterday and Max was right, the only thing that was great was the cinematography and costume design, I liked the shot when Marie steps out of the...I think it was the carriage, and she was the only one lit brightly while the rest of the scene was darker. I didn't care for the story or characters, to me it just seemed like a teen flick set in the 1700's.

Kev

#5 NathanCoombs

NathanCoombs
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Producer
  • Bath, UK

Posted 07 November 2006 - 10:16 AM

I agree with you max, lovely cinematography, but its a ususal Sofia Coppola whiny teenager bore.

I have argued this point at length at:

http://www.filmshoot...pic.php?t=15362

FJS International, LLC

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

Tai Audio

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Gamma Ray Digital Inc