#1 Steve Molloy

Steve Molloy

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Student

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:43 PM

Just a warning for those with cameras which accept film speeds right across the board. I obtained two more carts of Wittnerchrome 100D, the best film I have ever used to date.

Its notching is slightly incorrect, apparently registering 64D/100T on a camera with all of the notch settings.

There are two solutions to this:

- Setting the filter switch/key to artificial light and expose at 100T in daylight (same speed)
- Using a stanley knife to re-notch it (quite easilly done).

Both methods will allow the cinematographer to have 100D correctly exposed while on auto exposure.

Note, on most cameras which are 40/160 cameras only, despite being incorrectly notched, Wittnerchrome will usually (but not always) miss the 25D/40T button and register correctly as 100D.

This is a wonderful stock which I would be very pleased to see Kodak release for themselves in Super 8 so it can be widely available.

I hope this advice ensures that everyone exposes it correctly and thus realises this film's true potential.

#2 Marc Marti

Marc Marti
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:45 PM

Well, in the language of a super8 camera, 100T means "100 ASA with no filter".
That's just the way you have to expose it :-)

#3 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 22 October 2006 - 09:49 PM

Well, in the language of a super8 camera, 100T means "100 ASA with no filter".
That's just the way you have to expose it :-)

Exactly, and the filter has to be unkeyed for a daylight stock. The wittner film I shot on my canon 814xls all came out fine.

#4 S8 Booster

S8 Booster
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Other
  • retired

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:23 PM

you can verify the cart/speed notching here:
http://super8wiki.co...dge_Notch_Ruler

a correctly notched 100D cartridge should have the same slot dimention at a 160T cartridge bu no notch for the daylight 86 fiter = automatically disabled and sets the cam speed to 100(D)

Posted Image

the vision 200T cartrige left is actually notched for 100D although it should have been 160T/100D by using the built in 85 filter.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by S8 Booster, 24 October 2006 - 03:26 PM.

#5 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:52 PM

Just a warning for those with cameras which accept film speeds right across the board. I obtained two more carts of Wittnerchrome 100D, the best film I have ever used to date.

How is Wittner's quality control on slitting and re-perforating the film (I assume they start with Kodak 5285)? Do you notice any excessive weave or jitter over Kodak manufactured stock?

#6 Rachel Oliver

Rachel Oliver
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • London, England

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:48 PM

Hi;

I just got back 5 rolls from telecine and it's as solid in terms of registration and image quality as I'd expect from Kodak fresh stock. It seems their quality control is very good, I'm sold, just ordered some more.

Olly

#7 Clive Tobin

Clive Tobin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Spokane Valley, WA, USA

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:38 PM

How is Wittner's quality control on slitting and re-perforating the film (I assume they start with Kodak 5285)? Do you notice any excessive weave or jitter over Kodak manufactured stock?

As I recall I remember reading somewhere it is Kodak slit and perfed. The company special ordered a large amount of it in either 400 or 1000 foot core loads. I think only Super 8 Sound/ Pro8 actually does slitting and reperfing, using the same equipment they used to use for making super-8 fullcoat from 35mm.

#8 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:11 PM

As I recall I remember reading somewhere it is Kodak slit and perfed.

That's great news - it's Koday quality control all the way.
Thanks Clive!

#9 Scott Bullock

Scott Bullock
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Other
  • Denver, CO

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:29 PM

As I recall I remember reading somewhere it is Kodak slit and perfed. The company special ordered a large amount of it in either 400 or 1000 foot core loads. I think only Super 8 Sound/ Pro8 actually does slitting and reperfing, using the same equipment they used to use for making super-8 fullcoat from 35mm.

Hopefully that is a sign that Kodak will soon be packaging their 100D reversal stock in the near future. I wish Kodak would have made that choice to begin with instead of releasing 64T. I honestly see no advantage to using the 64T stock, and it's certainly not a good replacement for Kodachrome. The Wittnerchrome 100D is wonderful stuff.

#10 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 27 October 2006 - 12:27 PM

Hopefully that is a sign that Kodak will soon be packaging their 100D reversal stock in the near future. I wish Kodak would have made that choice to begin with instead of releasing 64T. I honestly see no advantage to using the 64T stock, and it's certainly not a good replacement for Kodachrome. The Wittnerchrome 100D is wonderful stuff.

I sent Kodak a letter not too long ago about the suppuriority of 100D over 64T in S8... but the response was that there is no current market demand to add or switch anything in S8. Obviosly the desires of most any S8 user is not finding it's voice at kodak... at least for higher resolve stocks than what is currently available. 100D blows the pants off of 64T and K40. I guess the higher speed/more grain rule influenced the choice of 64T, which is obviosly not the case... 100D has 2-4 times the speed in daylight, and twice the resolve.

Tai Audio

Visual Products

Opal

CineTape

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Aerial Filmworks

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Paralinx LLC

CineLab