#1 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 20 October 2006 - 03:39 AM

Hey gang.

I've noticed a little dust/dirt on my 16 S mirror shutter and was wondering what the best way to clean it would be. Compressed air from a distance? Tissue paper?

Thanks for any help.

#2 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:35 AM

From the ARRI service manual for the camera:

"The . . . mirror surface . . . should never be touched with the fingers. If it requires cleaning, camel-hair brush or lens tissue should be used. Clean gently and with care."

I will sometimes take a piece of lens tissue, double it over, and wrap it around the end of a cotton swab, and use that to clean the mirror. And always remember that dirt or smudges on the mirror will not effect the image on the negative.

-Tim

#3 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:41 PM

And always remember that dirt or smudges on the mirror will not effect the image on the negative.

-Tim

That's what I thought. But one of two rolls that I shot came out with specks on the image. I must not have cleaned the gate. Oh well...good thing they test rolls. I will give the mirror shutter the appropriate cleaning.

Thanks, Tim.

#4 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 20 October 2006 - 02:25 PM

What kind of film, reversal or negative, and what kind of specs, white or black?

-Tim

#5 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:12 AM

What kind of film, reversal or negative, and what kind of specs, white or black?

-Tim

Plus-X negative (7231) with white specs. Thought I saw some reticulation on there.

#6 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:34 AM

Plus-X negative (7231) with white specs. Thought I saw some reticulation on there.

Are you sure the lenses are clean? Are the white specs in the same place on each frame, or do they move around? If they move around, it sounds like the camera needs an overhaul and very good cleaning. If they stay in the same place frame to frame, your lenses need some cleaning.

-Tim

#7 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 21 October 2006 - 01:40 PM

Are you sure the lenses are clean? Are the white specs in the same place on each frame, or do they move around? If they move around, it sounds like the camera needs an overhaul and very good cleaning. If they stay in the same place frame to frame, your lenses need some cleaning.

-Tim

I just bought this a few months ago from Visual Products where it was overhauled. One of the lens cases was taped together. The tape must have dried out because when I opened it, dust particles flew everywhere. That's the only thing I can think of.

But I shot two rolls after that and one was beautifully sharp and clean. I'll clean the lenses and the camera and shoot another test roll. If I still have the same problem, I guess I'll give VP a call.

However, the specks seemed to stay around the lower right-hand corner of the frame.

#8 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:08 PM

Bill,

Do you have a copy of the manual for your camera? It talks about how to keep the camera "spotlessly clean". What is the serial number of your camera? If it is below 7900, then download the free PDF manual below:

http://www.arri16s.c...Arriflex16S.pdf

If the serial number is above 7900, then download the free PDF manual below:

http://www.arri16s.c...rriflex16SB.pdf

Keep that baby "clean as a whistle" because even tiny dirt specs look huge on 16mm film.

-Tim

#9 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 21 October 2006 - 02:27 PM

The manual came with my camera. I've always been anal about maintaining any kind of equipment. Which is why this is pissing me off...

And thanks for the links...

Paralinx LLC

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

The Slider

Opal

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineLab

Abel Cine

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Ritter Battery