#1 Chris Durham

Chris Durham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York, NY

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:34 PM

What are everyone's thoughts on the Illusionist? I saw it last night and thought it was an amazing looking film. I really enjoyed the lighting. If there were any comments I had it was a few focus/depth of field things I saw, but they were few and far between.

Of course I'm pretty new to this, so I could be trying too hard to look with a critical eye when I really don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

#2 Tim J Durham

Tim J Durham
  • Sustaining Members
  • 742 posts
  • Director
  • East Coast, Baby!

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:44 PM

What are everyone's thoughts on the Illusionist? I saw it last night and thought it was an amazing looking film. I really enjoyed the lighting. If there were any comments I had it was a few focus/depth of field things I saw, but they were few and far between.

Of course I'm pretty new to this, so I could be trying too hard to look with a critical eye when I really don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

With a name like that you must be some kind of genious.

#3 Matt Pacini

Matt Pacini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:15 PM

"... I really don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

Keep that attitude, and you'll learn faster than some of the arrogant newbie know-it-alls that we regularly see on boards like this.
I haven't seen the film yet, but I plan to.

MP

#4 Brian Dzyak

Brian Dzyak
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1517 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Encino, California USA

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:31 PM

I got to see an advanced screening for Aussies a couple weeks ago. I wasn't looking with too critical an eye at the cinematography. I enjoyed the story, though. Except that I have a couple of questions that the film raised yet didn't seem to provide answers for. But on the whole, I liked the look and feel of it quite a lot.

#5 Jason Debus

Jason Debus
  • Sustaining Members
  • 311 posts
  • Student
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:32 PM

In another thread I called this the best film I had seen yet this year, and I think that still stands for me. Like the film 'Sideways' which was from the same producers, the Illusionist is near pitch perfect across the board; Cinematography, Writing, Directing, Acting, Music.

The look of the film was just gorgeous, Dick Pope going for a look that emulates an old cinema process called autochrome (which I know next to nothing about so I'll just post a wikipedia link here );)

There's a great article about it in the September 2006 AC.

#6 Chris Durham

Chris Durham
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • New York, NY

Posted 09 November 2006 - 10:45 AM

Dick Pope going for a look that emulates an old cinema process called autochrome (which I know next to nothing about so I'll just post a wikipedia link here );)

There's a great article about it in the September 2006 AC.

I read that article, and it really got me interested. Like I said above I don't know a lot yet; but reading articles like that and a lot of the postings here are kind of my "immersive language program" in cinematography. When you start realizing how much you don't know it's pretty humbling.

Visual Products

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

CineLab

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Willys Widgets

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Tai Audio