#1 Nelson

Nelson

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Student

Posted 20 October 2006 - 04:35 PM

Sorry to ask such a simple question, but I'm renting some filters and was wondering how they would mount on the camera.

I'm using an Eclair ACL 16mm camera and I'm looking to rent an 85 filter set. What's the difference between "series 9", 4x4, 4 1/2 round, 138 round, etc in terms of filters? How do they mount on the camera?

Any information would be helpful. I certainly don't want to rent the wrong ones.

Thanks
Nelson

#2 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2006 - 08:00 PM

A lot depends upon what lens or lenses you're using, and on whether you're using a matte box in front of the lens. In any event, most of the sizes you mentioned are designed not to go directly on the lens, but require some kind of adapter or filter stage. Series 9 round filters are often used on Angenieux lenses. The 10-150, 15-150, 12-120 all have a 72mm front thread, and there's a common step up ring used with these. The Series 9 filters don't have a thread, they are held in place by a retaining ring on the adapter. 4 x 4 filters are square and usually go into a matte box. the 4-1/2 inch round is like a super-sized Series 9 - you use an even bigger adapter. I'm not sure, but I think 138mm filters have a thread, but are probably much bigger than you'll need to shoot 16mm. Finally, remember that the ACL has a built-in behind the lens filter holter which accepts inexpensive gelatine filters - it might be cheaper for you to buy a few gels and use them in the built-in holder - and you don't have to worry about having the right adapter. Hope this helps.

Edited by Ian Marks, 20 October 2006 - 08:02 PM.

#3 Bernie O'Doherty

Bernie O'Doherty
  • Sustaining Members
  • 232 posts
  • Other
  • Newark Valley, NY

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:02 AM

Hi, Nelson,

I would try to avoid using behind the lens filters. They shift the focus and degrade the image. I think front lens filters with step-up or step-down rings will provide the best quality image and would be easiest for you. An 85 filter set is generally round, and you would need to rent a matte box to use the drop-in/slide-in square filters.

Cheers,
Bernie

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Glidecam