4 replies to this topic

#1 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:21 AM

Anyone else ever get this? That feeling that spontaneously comes on that makes you say "Man, I could really go for shooting something right now." It's like what surfers get when they haven't been in the water for a while.

What causes it? The human desire to create? Or the addictive nature of trying to one-up your last film? Or is it that storytelling instinct which has always accompanied language? Perhaps is it so simple as wanting to impress other people.

I suppose in short: Why are you compelled to make narrative cinema?

Or maybe I'm alone on this...but I've a feeling I'm not...

#2 Josh Bass

Josh Bass
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:27 AM

Never happens to me.

I get lots of popcorn kernels of ideas. Most of them never pop, the few that do, I write 'em down. Maybe one fluffly piece of mind popcorn deserves to be buttered and eaten, and then I finally get around to writing a script, and then finally getting around to shooting it. Nothing spontaneous about it.

#3 Trevor Greenfield

Trevor Greenfield
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Director
  • North Idaho

Posted 21 October 2006 - 12:46 AM

Anyone else ever get this? That feeling that spontaneously comes on that makes you say "Man, I could really go for shooting something right now." It's like what surfers get when they haven't been in the water for a while.

What causes it? The human desire to create? Or the addictive nature of trying to one-up your last film? Or is it that storytelling instinct which has always accompanied language? Perhaps is it so simple as wanting to impress other people.

No I think the compelling part is what leads us to have a passion and a desire for everything - to one up our last effort, to try things we never have before, to achieve something we can look on with a smile. I meet people everyday who put in a 9-5, and just go home to their wife and kids and forget about work.

Me I am just compelled to think film, filmmaking, producing, writing, and directing all the time. Rarely is there a time when Im not. I dont know if Ill ever figure out why exactly other than I really enjoy it.

#4 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 21 October 2006 - 03:05 AM

I can only speak for myself, but to me it's the norishment for your soul. If you don't eat you get hungry, if you don't do something creative, your soul hungers for release of it's expression. If you let it hunger too long, it begins to die. The old saying that "Man does not live by bread alone" is not just a trite quip, it is a primordial truth. The expression of art feeds something within us and cannot be long denied lest we lose a part of ourselfs. I find myself unhappy and depressed whenever I try to deny that part of me for very long and it only grows worse as time goes by. People who are not artists can't really understand that, how not practicing your art can have such a profound physical effect on you, but that doesn't make it any less real. Art for the artist truely is life, so it shouldn't surprise you that as an artist you feel the need to live through your work, it is after all our purpose for being. B)

#5 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:41 AM

Anyone else ever get this? That feeling that spontaneously comes on that makes you say "Man, I could really go for shooting something right now."

Yeah, several times every day. :D

Tai Audio

Technodolly

Visual Products

Wooden Camera

rebotnix Technologies

Opal

The Slider

CineTape

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery