Photo

Eclair NPR 16mm Conversion to Super 16mm...is it worth it?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Michael J. Walls

Michael J. Walls

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Director

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:46 PM

Hello all,

I bought an Eclair NPR a few years back. It's a great camera and I've always enjoyed using it. I have long considered upgrading it to Super 16mm but with the advances in technology these days, would the money be better spent elsewhere? Some DP's I have talked to have said investing in old technology is unwise. At the same time, film still seems to get more respect/attention in the festival circuit, even though video has gained a place for narrative work. The plan was to upgrade it and use if for my feature shoot. As I get closer to that goal and technology advances, I have to wonder if it's worthwhile.

Additionally, some DP's tell me if you are planning to make money with it, clients that want to shoot film will be less inclined to work with cameras they have never heard of.

So what do you guys think? Worthwhile investment, or waste of money? Should I stick to rental houses or invest in another film camera?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Best,

MJ

#2 Bernie O'Doherty

Bernie O'Doherty
  • Sustaining Members
  • 232 posts
  • Other
  • Newark Valley, NY

Posted 22 October 2006 - 04:02 PM

Hello all,

I bought an Eclair NPR a few years back. It's a great camera and I've always enjoyed using it. I have long considered upgrading it to Super 16mm but with the advances in technology these days, would the money be better spent elsewhere? Some DP's I have talked to have said investing in old technology is unwise. At the same time, film still seems to get more respect/attention in the festival circuit, even though video has gained a place for narrative work. The plan was to upgrade it and use if for my feature shoot. As I get closer to that goal and technology advances, I have to wonder if it's worthwhile.

Additionally, some DP's tell me if you are planning to make money with it, clients that want to shoot film will be less inclined to work with cameras they have never heard of.

So what do you guys think? Worthwhile investment, or waste of money? Should I stick to rental houses or invest in another film camera?

Best,

MJ

Hello all,

Best,

MJ

#3 Bernie O'Doherty

Bernie O'Doherty
  • Sustaining Members
  • 232 posts
  • Other
  • Newark Valley, NY

Posted 22 October 2006 - 04:12 PM

[Hi,

I think that the door is closing fast on regular 16mm. You could sell it as a 16mm NPR, but you'd stand to make a better profit if you sold it as a S16. All this is spoken from a purely business point of view. From a filmmaking viewpoint, I believe that the opportunities are more promising in S16. Even though you have an older camera, the end result will be up there with the best of them. Your reel is woth a thousand words.
That's my 2 cents and I'm stickin' to it.

Cheers, Bernie

#4 Bernie O'Doherty

Bernie O'Doherty
  • Sustaining Members
  • 232 posts
  • Other
  • Newark Valley, NY

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:25 PM

Change "Your reel is woth a thousand words to....:

"Your reel is worth a thousand words".

Blame Sunday night Black and Tans.....

Cheers, Bernie