34 replies to this topic

#1 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:55 PM

I was just looking at the ASC and BSC websites, and started wondering why out of nearly 500 members of the two societies only three or four post post here, and only one regularly. There is probably other cinematography organizations from other countries that apply also. CML seems a little better but not much.
I realize that because of their chosen profession they probably prefer their shooting do the talking, but that low of a percentage - something else must account for their absence. I am sure some of them must read the forum, so how come we don't have more participation from people at the top of the profession?

#2 Patrizio De Sica

Patrizio De Sica
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Director

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:47 PM

An interesting point is this - your post.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:47 PM

Not all members are internet enthusiasts for one thing...

#4 Patrizio De Sica

Patrizio De Sica
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Director

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:50 PM

Yes, it's true. And we must be grateful for the help from people like you.

#5 Josh Bass

Josh Bass
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:22 AM

Maybe they all logged on one day, and saw the following posts:

"Red sucks!"

"People who like video are fags!"

"Red doesn't suck; you suck!"

"People who like film are fags, video's the best!"

"Bush is a dictator--America sucks!"

"I don't suck; your mom sucks!"

"Canada sucks!"

And said "To hell with this site".

Yes, of course those aren't real threads, but close enough.

#6 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 22 October 2006 - 01:50 AM

I'm sure they're plenty busy with all other kinds of engagements. It's not like the lot of those who don't post here are uninvolved in the cinematography community.

Makes me think, I can't even remember how I found this site anymore. Actually, I think I just typed in "cinematography.com," expecting to get nothing.

Hah, and those quotes cracked me up Josh.

#7 Josh Bass

Josh Bass
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:12 AM

Here's another, more realistic possibility --

Though these people obviously love their craft, it may be that in the little spare time they have, they DO NOT want to think about cinematography.

#8 Daniel Smith

Daniel Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 October 2006 - 03:27 AM

Here's a yet even more realistic possibility --

They have lives.

#9 Aaron Farrugia

Aaron Farrugia
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2006 - 04:50 AM

come to think of it i dont think ive seen too many australian members here either...

#10 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 22 October 2006 - 07:27 AM

No David has it right, they are all so old they don't have and can't use computers :D

R,

#11 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 22 October 2006 - 08:48 AM

Maybe they've all have their brains eaten by...

...JOHN HORA ASC !!!!!

#12 Jon Kukla

Jon Kukla
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:41 AM

Why should they post here? If they have a question about something, they have direct access to other big-name DPs who are usually happy to offer advice. If they call up a rental house, they probably get A-class service from some of their top technicians. No offense, but given these resources, why would you come here first?

The other thing I also find among people in the industry in general is that a lot of camera guys do read this site - but many of them don't post. It's also likely that you can get many questions answered just by searching through the archives.

Edited by Jon Kukla, 22 October 2006 - 11:43 AM.

#13 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 October 2006 - 01:55 PM

Why should they post here? If they have a question about something, they have direct access to other big-name DPs who are usually happy to offer advice. If they call up a rental house, they probably get A-class service from some of their top technicians. No offense, but given these resources, why would you come here first?

I was thinking more like 'sharing their knowledge' for the pleasure of doing so, rather than asking questions.

#14 Tim Tyler

Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:00 PM

I'm sure there are lots of reasons.

I've never advertised this site in trade magazines or shows so many of them may not know it's here. And as David suggested, not everybody is as familiar or comfortable with web communities as most of us are.

Busy, working professionals often have barely enough time for their lives, let alone time to spend here informally educating half interested video camera enthusiasts. (That's obviously not everyone here so please don't take offense.)

For most people, relationships are a two-way street. One expects to get something back in return for giving. Since most Society members would likely be giving considerably more than receiving here, they may not recognize a value or return by participating here. Not everybody wants to be a celebrity.

Not everyone writes well either. Writing is a big part of communicating in this environment, and for some people it can take a long time to compose their ideas and write them in a way that will be understood by the group.

I've tried to think of ways to attract Society members and industry leaders, but short of calling them up directly and asking them, I've found no solution. I'm open to suggestions.

The across the board switch to real names is a step in the right direction I think, since it is now much less likely someone will be attacked anonymously. We're finding more and more company reps here now which is great, and yet some members continue to disrespect these individuals publicly. There's just such a wide range of participants in the forum that it can be difficult to feel comfortable, especially if you've been singled out because of your status.

#15 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:18 PM

We're finding more and more company reps here now which is great, and yet some members continue to disrespect these individuals publicly.

Might I suggest a public de-listing for cause? Not unlike the French Foreign Legion's tradition of publicly stripping a dishonorably discharged member of their insignia? The Forum has some pretty clear guidelines concerning personal attacks, might I further suggest that you, Tim, take on the role of KLAATU's robot in matters of personal attack?
(I so much love taking part in a Forum where slightly obscure film references are understood by most, if not all, members).

#16 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:45 PM

Just out of interest, how many ASC and/or BSC members are there in total ?

#17 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:50 PM

Just out of interest, how many ASC and/or BSC members are there in total ?

Hi Matthew,

I quote the opening line of the thread......

"I was just looking at the ASC and BSC websites, and started wondering why out of nearly 500 members of the two societies only three or four post post here, and only one regularly"

Stephen

#18 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:14 PM

We're finding more and more company reps here now which is great, and yet some members continue to disrespect these individuals publicly. There's just such a wide range of participants in the forum that it can be difficult to feel comfortable, especially if you've been singled out because of your status.

Well if the definition of "disrespecting" is challenging the some times ridiculous claims of company reps, that will and should continue. For example, any maker of a new HD camera who thinks they are going to bury film should be prepared for a vigorous counter attack.

As David Mullen pointed out in the pro section, how can we have a forum where only the cheerleaders are allowed to post positive comments about new products, while those who point out flaws get the boot.

New film stocks and cameras should get a "going over", heck it's better for these companies that we do it here vs what might happen in the open market place.

R,

#19 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:32 PM

Hi Matthew,

I quote the opening line of the thread......

"I was just looking at the ASC and BSC websites, and started wondering why out of nearly 500 members of the two societies only three or four post post here, and only one regularly"

Stephen

Oooops, I meant, how many post here ?

The only two I know are : M. David Mullen ASC and Steven bernstein ASC.

Sorry for any confusion caused,
Matthew Buick.

#20 Douglas Hunter

Douglas Hunter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:22 PM

Maybe they've all have their brains eaten by...

...JOHN HORA ASC !!!!!

What on earth are you talking about? Matthew many of your posts make little or no sense.

Hope you are not diss'n John, he's a great guy and a wonderful teacher. I am really glad that he was my first cinematography teacher.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Tai Audio

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

FJS International, LLC

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineTape

Willys Widgets

Rig Wheels Passport