#1 kelly tippett

kelly tippett
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Other
  • Columbus, Mississippi

Posted 22 October 2006 - 12:42 AM

I watched this back in 93. I was 23 and just fell in love with it. must have watched it over 5 times. I just bought a vhs copy off the web. It should be here in 4 to 14 days. Just out of curiousity does anyone have any interesting facts about this movie. What film was used? What camera? How long did it take to shoot? I heard he was 80- years old when he did it and it was his last film. By the way he did a thing called "the silent war" ( i think it was called) very good even though it was a government war movie about the soldiers spread of sexualy transmitted diseases.

#2 Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes
  • Sustaining Members
  • 11937 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 October 2006 - 06:09 AM

Hi,

There's some discussion of it in ILM's giganto coffee-table book, regarding the effects work.

Phil

#3 kelly tippett

kelly tippett
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Other
  • Columbus, Mississippi

Posted 22 October 2006 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for the tip, but what is ILM'S? I'm new here and have yet to master the lingo.

#4 Wendell_Greene

Wendell_Greene
  • Sustaining Members
  • 545 posts
  • Other

Posted 22 October 2006 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for the tip, but what is ILM'S? I'm new here and have yet to master the lingo.

ILM = Industrial Light and Magic, the Visual Effects company owned by George Lucas.

#5 Jaan Shenberger

Jaan Shenberger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Director
  • San Francisco

Posted 22 October 2006 - 04:33 PM

I watched this back in 93. I was 23 and just fell in love with it. must have watched it over 5 times. I just bought a vhs copy off the web. It should be here in 4 to 14 days. Just out of curiousity does anyone have any interesting facts about this movie. What film was used? What camera? How long did it take to shoot? I heard he was 80- years old when he did it and it was his last film. By the way he did a thing called "the silent war" ( i think it was called) very good even though it was a government war movie about the soldiers spread of sexualy transmitted diseases.

"dreams" is one of my favorite films... a masterwork of cinema.

but it was not his last film. "madadayo" was. aside from being a great film, "madadayo" is particularly worth watching when you consider its subject matter-- an old man reflecting on his achievements and contributions as he nears death. i would highly recommend it if you enjoyed dreams.

also, i would recommend you see "dreams" on dvd instead of vhs if possible... with all those wide shots and use of texture.

#6 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 23 October 2006 - 05:09 PM

Ishiro Honda of Godzilla and 'The Mysterians' fame was Kurosawa's best friend.

He co-directed Kurosawa's last films. Their collaberation rejuvenated Kurosawa.
On this one he wrote and directed some of the segments.
Tunnel and Mt.fuji in Red.

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Technodolly

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

FJS International, LLC