#1 Kirsty Stark

Kirsty Stark
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Adelaide, Australia

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:02 PM

I'm a film student from Australia and am exploring the possibility of doing some of my classes as part of an exchange (study abroad) program during my Honours year (in Cinematography). I would love the opportunity to get another perspective from experienced international lecturers and use equipment that may not be available at my university here. The list of colleges in the USA that my university has exchange agreements with are listed below.

I'm assuming that there would be little opportunity in a school such as UCLA or the University of Texas to do a cinematography course ahead of their regular students who have already been accepted into the program. Does anyone have any experiences of this happening? As I've already studied film, I don't want to be placed in a beginners' class.

Also (without regard to whether exchange students are likely to be allowed in classes), which of them have good film, and specifically, cinematography programs?

Thanks for your help! The schools are listed below:

Butler University
James Madison University
Montana State University - Bozeman
Pacific University
University of California
University of Miami - Coral Gables
University of New Mexico
Northern Arizona University
University of Arizona
University of Texas at Austin

#2 Glen Alexander

Glen Alexander
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:49 PM

I'm a film student from Australia and am exploring the possibility of doing some of my classes as part of an exchange (study abroad) program during my Honours year (in Cinematography). I would love the opportunity to get another perspective from experienced international lecturers and use equipment that may not be available at my university here. The list of colleges in the USA that my university has exchange agreements with are listed below.

I'm assuming that there would be little opportunity in a school such as UCLA or the University of Texas to do a cinematography course ahead of their regular students who have already been accepted into the program. Does anyone have any experiences of this happening? As I've already studied film, I don't want to be placed in a beginners' class.

Also (without regard to whether exchange students are likely to be allowed in classes), which of them have good film, and specifically, cinematography programs?

Thanks for your help! The schools are listed below:

Butler University
James Madison University
Montana State University - Bozeman
Pacific University
University of California
University of Miami - Coral Gables
University of New Mexico
Northern Arizona University
University of Arizona
University of Texas at Austin

Hi,
I can tell you of my meager experiences at UCLA and USC from a writer's perspective if that helps you any. 'SC if you can ever get a good parking spot without getting your car ticketed bye the Parking Patrol Nazis ha ha or broken into, tended to be more 'professional and serious minded', while Westwood/UCLA, take the bus or walk, atmosphere seemed the very laid back, social, sort of crowd. UofA i went to for engineering grad school, while i poked around the filming people when i was there they were really operating on a shoe string budget with not very much industry support. They still and can shoot out at the old Tucson studios which is pretty cool, but you are very far away from the 'real' industry. i humbly suggest stick with either one in LA/SoCal or NYC. You'll get much more exposure to the industry on the job and off. lots more activities going on, in LA, you can always stumble across a production going on nearly anytime (Not considering strikes, floods, fires, earthquakes, i've been in two while there ha ha)

You're in adelaide as well, cool. It's like in Melbourne you can easily find a production, commerical shoot going on, here unless you're on McCloud's daughters, not too much going on really. my .02

send me a note if you want to meet and talk 'shop'.

cheers
glen

#3 Kirsty Stark

Kirsty Stark
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • 2nd Assistant Camera
  • Adelaide, Australia

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:04 AM

Wow... it's a long time since I posted that!

I've just about finished studying now and it worked out better for me to stay in Adelaide and work on some films here as industry placements rather than going overseas to do basic film classes just for the exchange experience, which I'd already had twice. Thanks for the input though... much appreciated.

You're in Adelaide as well? Didn't expect to see another South Aussie on here. Are you working in cinematography? Would be good to catch up at some point. I'll send you a message.

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine

CineLab

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Technodolly

Tai Audio