#1 Nitay Artenstein

Nitay Artenstein
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Student

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:49 PM

Hi,

I have just watched the (relatively) new Yeah Yeah Yeahs music video and really liked the camera movmements. In the best parts, they didn't have the shakiness of a hand-held camera, but seemed much more spontaneous than regular dolly moves. I'm talking mainly about the medium shots moving around the band members.

I'm relatively new to filmmaking and don't know much about camera movements. I would really appreciate it if someone here could watch the clip and give an idea about how these moves were made.

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Turn Into

Thanks in advance,
Nitay

#2 Chris Keth

Chris Keth
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4427 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • Los Angeles

Posted 25 October 2006 - 10:21 PM

I don't think there's anything particularly special about the moves. They are certainly done with purpose and resolve, and not slowly and invisibly like we generally do with narrative work.

It's also a possibility that they were done with someone handholding a camera while sitting on a dolly. that tends to preserve some of the sponteneity of handheld but also minimizing the annoying shakiness that often happens when one moves a lot or quickly while doing it.

#3 Zak Forsman

Zak Forsman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Director
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 26 October 2006 - 03:43 AM

On a feature I just shot we operated the camera on a Glidecam and vest, but intentionally misused it so it would retain a handheld quality, but with a more fluid character -- very similiar to what i see in this video.

#4 Wendell_Greene

Wendell_Greene
  • Sustaining Members
  • 545 posts
  • Other

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:19 AM

I have just watched the (relatively) new Yeah Yeah Yeahs music video and really liked the camera movmements. In the best parts, they didn't have the shakiness of a hand-held camera, but seemed much more spontaneous than regular dolly moves. I'm talking mainly about the medium shots moving around the band members.

Nitay

They used a Steadi-cam for those shots. Looks like they also they mixed in a few handheld shots toward the end as well.

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Willys Widgets

Ritter Battery

Opal

Rig Wheels Passport

Aerial Filmworks