Could this be super 8?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ronney Ross

Ronney Ross
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:53 PM

I was looking through some old messages on filmshooting.com and the question was asked about a kayne west video. seems like it could be a mixture of tri-x and k40 but I thinkit may be video. Just wanted to mixed up the forum a little but the aside from that I would like to try a replicate this look.
link: http://www.nobodysmi...video/73529.php

#2 kelly tippett

kelly tippett
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Other
  • Columbus, Mississippi

Posted 26 October 2006 - 02:54 PM

I was looking through some old messages on filmshooting.com and the question was asked about a kayne west video. seems like it could be a mixture of tri-x and k40 but I thinkit may be video. Just wanted to mixed up the forum a little but the aside from that I would like to try a replicate this look.
link: http://www.nobodysmi...video/73529.php

looks like video was too dark so they brightened it and then contrasted it. Maybe some more stuff like saturation, but i doubt it. but that looks to be the main things they did. But i didn't watch it. That's how it looks from the still.

Edited by kelly tippett, 26 October 2006 - 02:56 PM.

#3 Douglas Hunter

Douglas Hunter
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 26 October 2006 - 04:46 PM

But i didn't watch it. That's how it looks from the still.

If you would actually watch the clip, you'd see that the still has little to do with what the OP is describing.

Its hard to tell what's going on with all the compression and the color highlights going yellow etc. But I think its a cool idea for a video to try to match the look and feel of a blakxplotation film title sequence and cut that with the stock footage to give quick glimpses of the civil rights struggle.

All the stock footage looked like it was 16mm. And while either 16 or super 8 could have achieved the look of the new footage; the registration, softness, vignetting, clump of dirt in the gate suggest that indeed it was super 8. Of course most of this could have been done in post but super 8 sure would have been the easy way to get the effect.

It would be nice to see it not-compressed and on a real monitor.

#4 kelly tippett

kelly tippett
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Other
  • Columbus, Mississippi

Posted 26 October 2006 - 05:43 PM

I just tried to watch it again on another computer, but it won't let me. Sorry.

The yellow highlights and it being so blown that there isn't any shadows in those highlights made me think it was more video/digital than film. I think you have a great idea for what you want to do.

I've noticed most civil rights footage is Black and White and are long and wide shots getting the crowd. As for color 8mm/16mm I've noticed that used more in nasa stock footage or vietnam stock footage.

That might be an interesting contrast to throw in there. Civil rights crowds, the humble folks in vietnam, the crisp conservative folks on bleachers watching shuttle take offs. Maybe not, I was just running with it.

But i do like your original idea.

CineLab

Visual Products

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Wooden Camera