#1 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 27 October 2006 - 03:18 AM

Its an old question I know, but trust me, I searched the forums, Google, ASC back issues, everything I could think of. I am looking for specific info. I know traffic overexposed, and probably finnished photochemically (I think it was made before or just shortly after O Brother, so that fact alone means a DI is unlikely)

I want to know first how much they overexposed. It looked quite significant, but was it two stops? three?. Second was the color imparted a result of a filter of timing? The scenes in specific I am referring to was the mexico ext day scenes. Very overexposed, yellow, etc.

#2 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19769 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:00 AM

The Mexico scenes in "Traffic" went both through a D.I. and photochemical manipulation. The original photography was probably shot with a Tobacco warming filter (some articles have said it was while the Cinesite people say it was shot normally). It probably was overexposed somewhat but probably not significantly, most of the burned-out look was created in post. It may have been push-processed as well.

It was manipulated in a D.I. to make it look harsher and yellower, but then the director decided it wasn't extreme enough so he took the film-out and had it duped to reversal film and then back to negative again to increase the contrast, and one of those elements may have been push-processed as well to increase the grain and contrast.

http://www.kodak.com...1/traffic.shtml

Paralinx LLC

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Willys Widgets

Tai Audio

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

The Slider

Metropolis Post

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Abel Cine