Andrew Jackson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Student
  • Southern Illinois

Posted 27 October 2006 - 03:17 PM

Not really sure where else to put this, so here I go:

I'm trying to get a shot this weekend where I'm on a leaf hanging from a tree, and it falls to the ground. The camera is going to be on the leaf while it's hanging, and it follows it down to the ground. I've been thinking of ways for this leaf to look attached, and then fall after hanging for about 20 seconds. I'm not really sure how to accomplish this. I've thought of sticking a small/weak piece of clear tape to the leaf stem, attaching it to the tree, and then having a really thin piece of fishing line to pull the two apart and let the fishing line fall with the leaf.....Any other suggestions? This is all I got at the moment. I'm sure there is a better way.

Edited by Andrew Jackson, 27 October 2006 - 03:18 PM.

#2 Jon Kukla

Jon Kukla
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Other

Posted 27 October 2006 - 03:37 PM

What about attaching it with a very weak adhesive of some sort? Something that will only last until a small gust of wind blows through?

#3 Andrew Jackson

Andrew Jackson
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Student
  • Southern Illinois

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:21 PM

What about attaching it with a very weak adhesive of some sort? Something that will only last until a small gust of wind blows through?

that's a good idea, but I'm not really sure what that adhesive would be or where I would get it

#4 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 28 October 2006 - 12:24 PM

that's a good idea, but I'm not really sure what that adhesive would be or where I would get it

Have the leaf tied on with a thin thread. Have the thread touching a bare electric wire that will heat up when the switch is thrown, like what's used for launching solid fuel model rockets.
Since Homeland Security has the rockets grounded, you might find a launching igniter cheap.

#5 Zamir Merali

Zamir Merali
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • Director

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:32 PM

I think the cheapest way that would look the best would probably be to take a sewing needle (the very thin type with a tiny hole on the end). Attatch a fishing line to it and use the needle to stick the leaf to the branch. Then cut the needle so all the excess is gone and you cant see the needle. On cue pull the string so the needle will slide out and the leaf would fall.
Make sure there is no wind so the leaf doesnt take some erratic path when you try to follow it with your camera.

Zamir

rebotnix Technologies

CineLab

Tai Audio

The Slider

Paralinx LLC

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Opal

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

CineTape