Photo

Have the codes changed or is film being converted in The UK.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 27 October 2006 - 08:21 PM

I was Looking and asking about the main picture in teh 35mm Film article on Wikipedia...

their is an image there with a code that at least used to mean that the film was converted by Kodak Limited london.
http://en.wikipedia....-frames-nba.jpg
Note the edge print that says " KOD'AK'

My 16mm workprints from Niagra Custom Lab also have that edge print. It one time that would have told me that the film was made (or at least converted by Kodak In London. I wrote to teh fellow who posted the 35mm sample and he said the print was produced by CineSite in Los Angeles...

We have heard that Kodak has pulled most MP film production back to Rochester. Are they Uisng the Harrow facility to do slit and perf, or has the Mark between the third and forth Characher been re-defined to mean something else? if so at what date was the change, and what does it mean now?

Note the old system was that Film that said

K'ODak was from Rochester or S'afety
KO'DAK was from toronto, (That plant is now closed or Sa'fety
KOD'AK was LOndon or Saf"ety
KODA"K was france.... SAFE'ty
KODAK' was australia. SAFET'y

#2 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:30 PM

I was Looking and asking about the main picture in teh 35mm Film article on Wikipedia...

their is an image there with a code that at least used to mean that the film was converted by Kodak Limited london.
http://en.wikipedia....-frames-nba.jpg
Note the edge print that says " KOD'AK'

My 16mm workprints from Niagra Custom Lab also have that edge print. It one time that would have told me that the film was made (or at least converted by Kodak In London. I wrote to teh fellow who posted the 35mm sample and he said the print was produced by CineSite in Los Angeles...

We have heard that Kodak has pulled most MP film production back to Rochester. Are they Uisng the Harrow facility to do slit and perf, or has the Mark between the third and forth Characher been re-defined to mean something else? if so at what date was the change, and what does it mean now?

Note the old system was that Film that said

K'ODak was from Rochester or S'afety
KO'DAK was from toronto, (That plant is now closed or Sa'fety
KOD'AK was LOndon or Saf"ety
KODA"K was france.... SAFE'ty
KODAK' was australia. SAFET'y

Today, all Kodak motion picture films are being finished (slit and perfed) in the USA. All are sensitized in Rochester.

#3 Christian Appelt

Christian Appelt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:32 PM

What about release print stock for European markets? I thought it was one of the product lines still made at Chalon, France?

#4 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 29 October 2006 - 08:58 PM

What about release print stock for European markets? I thought it was one of the product lines still made at Chalon, France?

CAn you read the edge code? Under the old system, Kodak Pathe, was KODA'K or earlier SAFE'TY Film. The recent super 8 I looked at (finished in France and having the old "kodak france" logo on the cassette, followed that patern.

{For those who have never dealt with Grey market film, In the very old days the kodak logo was on various packges and was slightly different for each market. The place I worked for in the mid seventies used to sell British film rather then Canadian for a while as it was far cheaper in the grey market. The relaive price changed and they went back to Canadian stock - The supplier sometimes shipped french stock. just for variety - this was all still camera stuff)

#5 John Pytlak RIP

John Pytlak RIP

(deceased)

• Sustaining Members
  • 3499 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Rochester, NY 14650-1922

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:45 PM

Kodak moved sensitizing and finishing of all motion picture films out of the Chalon-sur-Saone plant some time ago.

Wooden Camera

Broadcast Solutions Inc

CineTape

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Abel Cine

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Paralinx LLC

Metropolis Post