#1 Sean McHenry

Sean McHenry
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Hilliard, Ohio

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:15 PM

OK, I have a Canon 814XLs and it seems as the motor is slipping, or a belt or something. It is slipping and not able to pull film through the cart without stopping down after about 5 seconds or so at 18fps. 24 and 9 seem to fare better.

Has anyone ever opened an 814 XLS before to get to these components? Anyone want to tutor me on opening the case on one of these puppies? I am geussing it needs lubrication and a new belt if it uses one or a new or reconditioned rubber idler arm, whatever it uses for drive on the cart hub. I can slow and even stop the hub turning without a lot of effort. I am guessing that's the trouble.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated. I am an Broadcast Television Engineer by trade but don't have the manual or any experience with this particular item.

Thanks everyone,

Sean

#2 Scott Bullock

Scott Bullock
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Other
  • Denver, CO

Posted 28 October 2006 - 10:31 PM

You might want to contact these folks -- Craig Camera -- and ask them if they have a repair manual for the 814XL-S. I couldn't find one on their website, but that doesn't mean they don't have it or can't get one. If you find one, please let me know as I'd like to own one myself.

#3 Alessandro Machi

Alessandro Machi
  • Sustaining Members
  • 3318 posts
  • Other
  • California

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:13 AM

OK, I have a Canon 814XLs and it seems as the motor is slipping, or a belt or something. It is slipping and not able to pull film through the cart without stopping down after about 5 seconds or so at 18fps. 24 and 9 seem to fare better.

Has anyone ever opened an 814 XLS before to get to these components? Anyone want to tutor me on opening the case on one of these puppies? I am geussing it needs lubrication and a new belt if it uses one or a new or reconditioned rubber idler arm, whatever it uses for drive on the cart hub. I can slow and even stop the hub turning without a lot of effort. I am guessing that's the trouble.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated. I am an Broadcast Television Engineer by trade but don't have the manual or any experience with this particular item.

Thanks everyone,

Sean

Spectra Film & Video has been having some success repairing the Canon 814XLS and Canon 1014XLS cameras. I hear there is a special explosive dye in these cameras and if a non certified technician opens one up the camera the colored dye activates and sprays the faux repair person.

#4 Sean McHenry

Sean McHenry
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Hilliard, Ohio

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:28 AM

I sent 2 of the 3 companies mentioned above e-mails asking what they think might be the trouble and for a rough estimate. I will probably pack it off to Spectra in the next day or so. It should probably get a good going over anyway.

Still lloking for anyone who has cracked one of these critters open. I haven't looked at it really well yet but I just don't see any screws on the little booger that might lead anywhere.

More later.

Sean

Edited by Sean McHenry, 30 October 2006 - 09:28 AM.

#5 Tim Myers

Tim Myers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 November 2006 - 03:15 AM

I'm having the exact same problem with my 814 xls! Any successful developments? If so I'd like to follow in your footsteps. Good luck!

Tim Myers

Edited by Tim Myers, 02 November 2006 - 03:17 AM.

#6 Sean McHenry

Sean McHenry
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Hilliard, Ohio

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:13 AM

Hello Tim. I sent mine in to Bernie O'Doherty. You can find his site here: http://super16inc.com/index.html

Sounds like a fine gentleman and has a very impressive background in cameras and repairs. He tells me he likes working on Super 8 once in a while as it gives him a fun break from working on 16mm cameras. I thought about taking his workshop but realized, I don't have a 16mm camera.

He should be receiving mine today (Friday, Nov 3rd, 2006) and tells me he should have it looked at in a day or two to give me the news on what's happening. It could need a cleaning or a new motor and other electronics. Our conversations via e-mail have been light but to the point. I haven't met him but I like the man. Besides, he's an Irishman, like my ancestors.

I'll post more when I hear back from Bernine. There is a similar thread a few down from this one, http://www.cinematog...showtopic=18271

Sean

Edited by Sean McHenry, 03 November 2006 - 10:14 AM.

#7 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:17 PM

I hear there is a special explosive dye in these cameras and if a non certified technician opens one up the camera the colored dye activates and sprays the faux repair person.

What!?! Are you serious?

#8 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 05 November 2006 - 06:42 PM

Dunno, but the 814 I opened up had dried, fluorescent blue paint all over the place and the circuit board was shattered. Maybe it's the same one?

#9 Sean McHenry

Sean McHenry
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Other
  • Hilliard, Ohio

Posted 07 November 2006 - 01:07 AM

Tim, and anyone else with the same issues with an 814 XLS running and then stopping by itself after a few seconds - the verdict is in and it's all good. Bernie phoned me today after only having the camera in his posession since late Friday afternoon, that the camera was ready to go, all fixed up like new. He tells me the foam for the light shielding had deteriorated and become flakes of goo which had likely worked their way into the mechanicals gumming the works up. He saw nothing else that needed work so he gave it a complete cleaning and tells me it's a good camera and that I should really love it now.

I won't tell you what it cost me as that would be like getting an estimate and I would rather let Bernie handle all that since things could be vastly different from camera to camera. Let's just say that even with my initial investment of nearly $300 that this cleaning puts me in the ballpark with some 814XLS cameras I have seen advertised from well known shops. Besides, I have Bernine in my corner now with his years of background telling me it's in good shape. All that adds up to what I would consider a good deal.

Thanks Bernie,

Sean McHenry

rebotnix Technologies

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

Ritter Battery

Abel Cine

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Opal