3 replies to this topic

#1 Brendan mk Uegama

Brendan mk Uegama
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:04 AM

I have just received a couple thousand feet of kodak 5218. I am shooting a low budget short film soon and was thinking about using that, as well as some 16mm stock to finish the project (16mm instead of 35mm because of budget). If I do this, would you recommend using 7218 to try and match although the grain will be noticeably different? Or could I shoot on a slower 16mm stock to match grain and try to match the looks between the two with lighting and development?

#2 Dominic Case

Dominic Case
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • Other
  • Sydney Australia

Posted 30 October 2006 - 01:39 AM

In general, most of the Kodak stocks match each other quite well without any extra lighting or development variations. That's except where they make a feature of lower contrast etc.

So your best bet would indeed be to go for the next slower stock in 16mm, to match grain a little more closely. Remember that the look will also be affected by lens resolution and depth of field - so a slower stock with consequently a wider aperture in 16mm would be working that DoF back in the right direction.

#3 Michael Most

Michael Most
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Other

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:54 PM

While Dominic makes a good point, it is just not possible to "match" 35mm and 16mm images by "matching grain." A 16mm frame - even S16mm - is less than 1/4 the size of a 35mm frame. Therefore, by definition, the grain is at least 4 times as large relative to the image recorded on it. If Kodak or anyone else made stocks with grain that was at least 4 times smaller and tighter, then you might have a chance. To my knowledge, they don't.

#4 A. Whitehouse

A. Whitehouse
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Director
  • Melbourne

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:25 PM

I have just received a couple thousand feet of kodak 5218. I am shooting a low budget short film soon and was thinking about using that, as well as some 16mm stock to finish the project (16mm instead of 35mm because of budget). If I do this, would you recommend using 7218 to try and match although the grain will be noticeably different? Or could I shoot on a slower 16mm stock to match grain and try to match the looks between the two with lighting and development?

I believe the Spike Lee film "She Loves Me" was shot on a combination of S16 and 35mm. It should be at your local video store. There was a Kodak Magazine article about it a couple of years ago. It was shot by Mathew Libatique who I believe has shot a few features on S16 now. I thought it looked great, but I dont think they intercut during a scene between formats. I hope this helps...

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Technodolly

CineLab

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

The Slider

Glidecam