CP16R/A Super 16 conversion

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Skates

Robert Skates
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2006 - 09:53 AM

I will soon be having my CP16R/A converted to super 16. I know there a handfull of contributers to this forum that have had their CPs' converted or have bought a CP already converted. I have some questions.

Besides the 1.66 ground glass markings what other marks are on the ground glass?, TV, 1.85, etc.

Did you opt for the PL mount or retain the CP mount? Why?

What lens or lenses do you use most often, or own?

What was the turn around time for the conversion?

What is your overall impression of the conversion?

I will most likely not opt for the PL mount. I have a set of zeiss primes in Arri st mount and Arri to CP adapters. I know that with a PL mount I would have a whole host of modern lenses to choose from. The reality is that if a production had the budget to rent a set of Ultra Primes then they could most likely afford an SRIII or SRII. I shoot mostly shorts, low budget features and music videos. So for me the CP mount should be fine.

I recently read in another thread that Visual Products no longer offers the super 16 conversion of the CP. I have sent them an email and will follow up by phone. I will pass on what I find out concerning the status of their CP service. The Aranda Group in Australia also offers a super 16 conversion for the CP. Bruce at Aranda has been very responsive to my emails. Aranda is the company that does a super 16 conversion for the Arri 16BL. They also do 3 perf and 2 perf conversions of 35mm cameras. If anyone else is considering having their CP converted to super 16 you may want to contact Aranda.

I look forward to your replies and I will post updates aas well as before and after photos.

Robert Skates

#2 Matt Pacini

Matt Pacini
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1246 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:58 PM

I asked Paul Hillman from Visual Products about this (he's the one who does the conversions), and he hadn't heard anything about it, so I'd say it's a rumor.

#3 steve hyde

steve hyde
  • Sustaining Members
  • 446 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 14 January 2007 - 11:32 PM

Robert,

Did you go for the conversion? I am considering a CP16R and want to learn about what my options are with this system.

Does anyone know if the CP with the mirror shutter is a variable shutter?

Steve

#4 Robert Hughes

Robert Hughes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Sound Department
  • Minneapolis

Posted 15 January 2007 - 04:24 PM

I spoke with Paul Hillman at Visual Products right before Christmas and he is definately still in the business of CP16R S16 conversions. I intend to send mine out in February, god willing. The CP16R comes in 3 varieties of shutter: two "bow-tie" and one "half moon"; the latter is preferable for avoiding smear, but the former are rumored to be quieter and more reliable as the shutter spins at half speed. No Variable Shutter comes on a CP16, but I'd bet you could temporarily glue some vanes on (to the backside, not the mirror!) to accomplish that effect. Or you could get an Arri/Aaton and get variable shutter built in.

#5 steve hyde

steve hyde
  • Sustaining Members
  • 446 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Seattle

Posted 15 January 2007 - 09:58 PM

I spoke with Paul Hillman at Visual Products right before Christmas and he is definately still in the business of CP16R S16 conversions. I intend to send mine out in February, god willing. The CP16R comes in 3 varieties of shutter: two "bow-tie" and one "half moon"; the latter is preferable for avoiding smear, but the former are rumored to be quieter and more reliable as the shutter spins at half speed. No Variable Shutter comes on a CP16, but I'd bet you could temporarily glue some vanes on (to the backside, not the mirror!) to accomplish that effect. Or you could get an Arri/Aaton and get variable shutter built in.

Is your's bow tie or half moon? Are you having the camera overhauled at the same time you have it converted? How much does Hillman charge for this service?

Thanks. I'm intrigued by this camera system and have a lead on one.

Steve

FJS International, LLC

Rig Wheels Passport

Metropolis Post

The Slider

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Glidecam

Opal

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC