• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 30 October 2006 - 05:56 PM

Ok well my feature is wrapped, ahead of schedule.

Over all I think it went very well, we only had two small set delays the entire three weeks of shooting. No technical snaffus, no one got hurt, no one got fired, no equipment broke, so that is all very good news for me and all who worked on it.

Here's a few more pics, our steady cam operator, a scene lit with a soft box from above (the flash washed out the effect but you get the idea), and we found this poor sucker down in the basement any one know him?

Now onto post...which is going slow due to a high volume of US features in Toronto right now :(

R,

Attached Images

• steadycam_2.jpg
  • Softbox_Set.jpg
  • Basement_Guy.jpg

#2 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:17 PM

Cool, very nice, what exactly is this film about, I think I read something about Wolves, I take it that this is a horror, how much will you sell the DVD for, I wanna buy it.

-Matthew Buick.

#3 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:36 PM

Awesome. I've been following your posts and it looks pretty sweet. Keep us updated on when we can see it. By the way, did you have dailies?

Edited by David Sweetman, 30 October 2006 - 06:36 PM.

#4 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:54 PM

Cool, very nice, what exactly is this film about, I think I read something about Wolves, I take it that this is a horror, how much will you sell the DVD for, I wanna buy it.

-Matthew Buick.

The wolves are just one of the various terrors the actors must confront, the prison is packed full of nasty nasty stuff. All I have to do to make back the production budget is to sell 20 DVDs for $25,000.00 each, shall I put you down for one? That's pretty cheap in UK pounds. What's it about? Well you'll have to wait and see.

Awesome. I've been following your posts and it looks pretty sweet. Keep us updated on when we can see it. By the way, did you have dailies?

Dailies? Ha! That's a good one! In all seriousness, no I did not. Might sound crazy, but that was part of the price to pay for 35mm. What I did instead was, 1) Told the lab there where no dailes so they had to be extra vigilant in monitoring the neg each day. My main concern was things like scratches, which the neg reports can usually catch. 2) I monitored performance via the video assist plugged into a DV Camera, so I had playback on set.

The reality is that many scenes could not have been re-shot any way due to the cost of setting them back up again. We where extra anal about the focus, checking every shot with a DOF chart, and measuring until the cows came home. For exposure, I always overexpose by at least one stop for safety. It's easy to come down in transfer and make it look nice, going up is a whole lot harder.

I thought of this project like what it must have been like for Carol Ballard to shoot The Black Stallion. It would have been impossible for him to have dailes at that remote location for the first part of the film, and many of the boy/horse moments could never have been re-staged any way.

Of course I don't shun dailes as a rule, if it was possible I would of had them.

R,

#5 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:21 PM

The wolves are just one of the various terrors the actors must confront, the prison is packed full of nasty nasty stuff. All I have to do to make back the production budget is to sell 20 DVDs for $25,000.00 each, shall I put you down for one? That's pretty cheap in UK pounds. What's it about? Well you'll have to wait and see.

Is this in USD or CDN ?

#6 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:44 PM

Not a whole lot of difference these days between the two, sadly for me :(

R,

#7 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:58 PM

So...that works out at either £11,673.86 or £13,109.17 each...hmm...I'LL TAKE THE LOT !!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

Edited by Matthew Buick, 31 October 2006 - 01:58 PM.

#8 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student

Posted 17 November 2006 - 03:13 PM

When will this film be coming out?

The Slider

Visual Products

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS