#1 Dan McCormick

Dan McCormick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Student

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:39 PM

Hey

I'm a 2nd year student at Uni, and I'm about to DP a 5 minute "experimental" film on 16mm. We were given the brief today, and basically the film is a static shot of a mans face as he expresses a different emotion each minute for 5 minutes (yawn).

At the moment it is 1 take and no camera moves, I'm not sure if I'll get much freedom in that but for lights I can do whatever I want. Hopefully it'll be shot in a studio, but I have a pretty good range of lighting equipment either way (I'd rather stay on tungsten as that's the majority of what we have) and as I might not get to DP on film for another year I want to make it look as interesting as possible.

I'm working on a couple of ideas, maybe try to make it look like he is going down an old-fashioned elevator with beams of light going up him... Anything really, if anyone can think of a way to make this scene look more interesting I'd really appreciate it, and the more original the better.

Thanks for your time

Dan McCormick

#2 Tim Tyler

Tim Tyler

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1291 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Olympia, WA (US)

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:55 PM

Do we get credit if you use our idea(s)?

Does the director have any ideas?

#3 Jaan Shenberger

Jaan Shenberger
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Director
  • San Francisco

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:12 PM

if you're not very excited about it becoming something good, then at least use it as an exercise in technique... maybe use lighting to try and enhance his conveyed emotion (happy lighting changes to angry lighting to anquish, etc.)... this is obviously a valuable skill that might be worth practicing.

#4 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 30 October 2006 - 08:29 PM

What's the director trying to say?

If he really doesn't know, as may very well be the case, you may be able to convince him that the way you want to light it is what he is trying to say. It might be cool to have light that is constantly in motion, as long as that movement is motivated, but since it's experimental maybe it doesn't have to be. Tell the director the lights are the ghosts of all the people who have gone before the character, or something. Their own light illuminates him, therefore he is merely a reflection of all that is humanity. Haha, hey that's pretty good.

#5 janusz sikora

janusz sikora
  • Sustaining Members
  • 82 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:02 PM

This question is really something else...

#6 Dan McCormick

Dan McCormick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Student

Posted 02 November 2006 - 12:43 PM

Thanks for the ideas.

Fortunately, the film has been changed so there is now a set, camera movements and different lights so all is my problems are gone (or maybe now I actually do have problems).

Dan McCormick

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Glidecam

Opal

Paralinx LLC

Visual Products

Willys Widgets

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks