#1 Jonathan Bryant

Jonathan Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, GA

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:32 PM

I just got a used Cartoni Alfa II Tripod for my Sony DSR500. This works differently than the tripods I have used in the past. I have balanced the camera plate to where the camera is balanced on the tripod but it seems as though for the camera to not move after I let go of the head I have to use the lock lever. With the counter balance spring on it wants to keep camera perfectly level when you let go of the camera. With it off it lets the camera fall forward. The drag control doesn't do as much as I am used to.

Is it normal to have to use the lock lever almost as a drag control or is something wrong with my tripod?

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 01 November 2006 - 03:39 PM

I just got a used Cartoni Alfa II Tripod for my Sony DSR500. This works differently than the tripods I have used in the past. I have balanced the camera plate to where the camera is balanced on the tripod but it seems as though for the camera to not move after I let go of the head I have to use the lock lever. With the counter balance spring on it wants to keep camera perfectly level when you let go of the camera. With it off it lets the camera fall forward. The drag control doesn't do as much as I am used to.

Is it normal to have to use the lock lever almost as a drag control or is something wrong with my tripod?

Hi,

Normally Cartoni heads have an infinitely adjustable drag control like O'Connor heads, I would search out the manuel or talk to a dealer.

FWIW the owner of Cartoni speaks very good English, you could just phone her in Italy.

Stephen

#3 Jonathan Bryant

Jonathan Bryant
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 284 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Athens, GA

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:35 PM

I have emailed them with no response. Can anyone offer any advice? The tilt drag control is not enough to keep the camera still after I let go. I am forced to use the lock lever which from my understanding isn't the correct way to operate a tripod.

Tai Audio

FJS International, LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Technodolly

rebotnix Technologies

Metropolis Post

Rig Wheels Passport

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Wooden Camera

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets