Oron Cohen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tel-Aviv/London

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:26 AM

Hello to all,

Just finish shooting some re-shoots to a film I directed.
The film shooting was in R16mm, SRII with super-speeds, 7205&7218 Kodak films stocks.
In the first shooting we shoot 12 rolls of film and developed it in synchro film in Austria, the reason for that was that we didn't have a film lab in Israel.
The telecine was one light, spirit to DigiBeta and MiniDv for editing.
Now 7 months later we do have a lab in Israel that have a spirit and all and I can process and get the same deal(spirit to DigiBeta)and also in the same price they would add some color correction if I need, plus I can be in the transfer and don?t need to ship my stuff in airplanes.
Overall I shoot in this weekend 6 rolls for my re-shoot (a little bit carried away).
So tell you the truth I am little bit confuse.
From one hand I know its not good to change labs, from the other hand it is very tempting plus I didn?t point out that it will take me less time to develop in my own country?
So what you advise me to do I tried to tell you all the detail, so please give me some feedbacks on this.

Oron.

#2 Stephen Williams

Stephen Williams
  • Sustaining Members
  • 4708 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Europe

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:41 AM

Hello to all,

Just finish shooting some re-shoots to a film I directed.
The film shooting was in R16mm, SRII with super-speeds, 7205&7218 Kodak films stocks.
In the first shooting we shoot 12 rolls of film and developed it in synchro film in Austria, the reason for that was that we didn't have a film lab in Israel.
The telecine was one light, spirit to DigiBeta and MiniDv for editing.
Now 7 months later we do have a lab in Israel that have a spirit and all and I can process and get the same deal(spirit to DigiBeta)and also in the same price they would add some color correction if I need, plus I can be in the transfer and don?t need to ship my stuff in airplanes.
Overall I shoot in this weekend 6 rolls for my re-shoot (a little bit carried away).
So tell you the truth I am little bit confuse.
From one hand I know its not good to change labs, from the other hand it is very tempting plus I didn?t point out that it will take me less time to develop in my own country?
So what you advise me to do I tried to tell you all the detail, so please give me some feedbacks on this.

Oron.

Hi,

It's obvious, finish at your local lab!
I shoot all over the world, I always process film a.s.a.p wherever I am.

Stephen

#3 Max Jacoby

Max Jacoby
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2955 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:47 AM

On top of that Synchro Film is not exactly my favourite lab I must say. Had some problems with them on a film 2 summers ago.

#4 Oron Cohen

Oron Cohen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tel-Aviv/London

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:17 AM

Hi,

It's obvious, finish at your local lab!
I shoot all over the world, I always process film a.s.a.p wherever I am.

Stephen

thanks for the quik reply stephen, I think I will do as you advise me:-)

On top of that Synchro Film is not exactly my favourite lab I must say. Had some problems with them on a film 2 summers ago.

its not my favourite lab also. I just think it was good if my negative will be kept in the same lab,but it is not worth the trouble.

#5 Dan Goulder

Dan Goulder
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:50 PM

Although I've been resistant to changing labs in the middle of a project, they should be consistent in terms of chemistry for negative development. However, telecine will vary from lab to lab and operator to operator. On the plus side, you can always re-telecine if you're unhappy with the results. You should definitely bring sample footage for the new telecine operator to try and match. One potential problem: If the new transfers look even better than the originals, then you'll be tempted to re-transfer all the footage!

#6 Oron Cohen

Oron Cohen
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Tel-Aviv/London

Posted 04 November 2006 - 07:18 PM

You should definitely bring sample footage for the new telecine operator to try and match. One potential problem: If the new transfers look even better than the originals, then you'll be tempted to re-transfer all the footage!

I talk with the colorist of the new lab and he also told me to bring sample footge for the new telecine.
and for the temptation of re-transfer all the footage, it will not be an issue because I dont have any money left for the project:-)
and if I get any more money it will go to the 35mm blow-up I had plan of doing :D

Technodolly

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

rebotnix Technologies

Willys Widgets

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Visual Products