3 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:19 PM

Some of you might get a kick out of this. Sean Charlesworth, the NYU camera tech, sent me this Arriflex 16S/B price list from back in 1981. It is six pages long and has the cameras and most of the accessories. Even has the original pricing for the Zeiss Super Speed Mk1 lenses. Very interesting. When you look at what the cameras are selling for right now, it is hard to imagine that they were originally $8375. Here is the first page of the price list, you can download the entire thing as a free PDF at:

Arri16S.com camera manuals page.

Scroll down, the price list is at the bottom of the page.

Posted Image

-Tim

#2 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 02 November 2006 - 05:22 PM

Very nice, ARRI 16S's are so cool.

#3 Fran Kuhn

Fran Kuhn
  • Sustaining Members
  • 352 posts
  • Other

Posted 02 November 2006 - 10:59 PM

. . .it is hard to imagine that they were originally $8375.

Wonder what it would cost to build one today? That little S/B is an amazing piece of precision equipment, as are many of the old cameras.

A few years ago I had a beautiful Army Signal Corps-surplus Bell & Howell Eyemo converted to a PL mount. I took it to UT Photo in Burbank for service. The manager, Erwin Hasseler, told me that UT was created from the remnants of the original Bell & Howell west coast operations. I asked him what he thought it would cost to build an Eyemo today and he just laughed a little. In the eight to ten thousand dollar range was his guess. I actually think this figure is too low.

#4 Richardson Leao

Richardson Leao
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Other
  • Stockholm, Sweden

Posted 02 November 2006 - 11:20 PM

the good thing is that it was the price of a so-so digital camera that in 2 years will be sold by 10% of the original price, while nearly 30 years after you can still sell the arri for probably 50% of the original price.

Wonder what it would cost to build one today? That little S/B is an amazing piece of precision equipment, as are many of the old cameras.

A few years ago I had a beautiful Army Signal Corps-surplus Bell & Howell Eyemo converted to a PL mount. I took it to UT Photo in Burbank for service. The manager, Erwin Hasseler, told me that UT was created from the remnants of the original Bell & Howell west coast operations. I asked him what he thought it would cost to build an Eyemo today and he just laughed a little. In the eight to ten thousand dollar range was his guess. I actually think this figure is too low.

FJS International, LLC

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Wooden Camera

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Opal

Tai Audio

Ritter Battery

Broadcast Solutions Inc