2 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:08 PM

Finally finished the second part of the lens comparison I started last spring, and the results are up on the web site. Click on the "Arriflex 16S Camera Performance" link and it will bring you to the master list, with the lenses divided into Wide Angle, Normal, and Telephoto.

Arri16S.com

The test includes the following prime lenses:
Zeiss 8mm T2.2 T* lens
Cooke Kinetal 12.5mm T2 lens
Cooke Kinetal 17.5mm T2 lens
Cooke Kinetal 25mm T2 lens
Schneider 16mm T2 lens
Schneider 25mm T2 lens
Schneider 50mm T2 lens

and the following zoom lenses:
Angenieux 12-120 T2.2 lens
Zeiss 10-100 T3.1 T* lens
Zeiss 10-100 T2 Mk1 T* lens

Posted Image

The first part of the test, shot last spring, had all the lenses set to T4 (the sweet spot for most of the lenses). The three Schneiders and the two Zeiss zooms were not available for the first test.

Posted Image

The second part of the test, which was just completed, had all the lenses set wide open. The Angenieux zoom was not available for the second test.

I hope this gives users of the Arriflex 16S and S/B cameras an idea of what results can be achieved with the most common lenses available for the cameras.

-Tim

#2 Mike Rizos

Mike Rizos
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Other

Posted 04 November 2006 - 09:44 PM

Hi Tim
Nice job. The clips look quite remarkable. In fact they all look so good, that it seems, fot SD trasfer it doesn't matter which lens you use. It's very difficult to tell them apart.
A couple observations.
The Zeiss zoom T3 open seems sharper than the Zeiss zoom T2 open at 100mm. I don't know if this is because of greater depth of field or what. You would think that the T2 would be better. The above two wide open, and the 25mm Cooke wide open, look about the same at 25mm. The Schneider at 25mm, at f1.4 looks the worst of the bunch with less contrast and sharpnes, but still very good.

#3 Tim Carroll

Tim Carroll
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2165 posts
  • Other
  • Chicago, Illinois

Posted 04 November 2006 - 10:46 PM

Hi Tim
Nice job. The clips look quite remarkable. In fact they all look so good, that it seems, for SD transfer it doesn't matter which lens you use. It's very difficult to tell them apart.
A couple observations.
The Zeiss zoom T3 open seems sharper than the Zeiss zoom T2 open at 100mm. I don't know if this is because of greater depth of field or what. You would think that the T2 would be better. The above two wide open, and the 25mm Cooke wide open, look about the same at 25mm. The Schneider at 25mm, at f1.4 looks the worst of the bunch with less contrast and sharpness, but still very good.

Thanks Mike.

Everything does look pretty even. Though I've been staring at them pretty intensely for the last couple of days as I put this thing together and I have noticed some differences. You are right about the T2 having less depth of field at 100mm than the T3.1. I shot a second take with the T2, set at T3.1 and the depth of field definitely increases with the stop and a half closing. I may have to put that up too.

I found that I don't particularly like the Zeiss 8mm wide open. I love that lens, and for hand held work it is pretty much the only one I use, but it is too soft wide open.

I found the Schneider 16mm and the Schneider 25mm to be the softest. Surprisingly the Schneider 50mm wasn't as soft. Both the Zeiss zooms were pretty good, the advantage of the T2 is that you can use a stop and a half less light. The Angenieux was surprisingly good, and I think that is because Paul Duclos set it up for me (and he is the Angenieux "god" in my opinion). And once again, the Cooke Kinetals were my favorites. They are just a bit more contrasty than the Zeiss, and Angenieux lenses, and they beat the Schneiders hands down. Especially the Cooke Kinetal 25mm T2, I really love the look of that lens.

Thanks again for your comments,
-Tim

PS: I went in and added the clip from the Zeiss 10-100 T2 (where the lens was set at T:3.1 for comparison to the depth of field and sharpness to the Zeiss 10-100 T3.1 zoom). And I added a clip shot outdoors with the Zeiss 8mm, set at T:11, shot on Kodak Vision2 100T filmstock. This shot was hand held with no camera or image stablizer.

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Opal

Abel Cine

FJS International, LLC

Willys Widgets

Metropolis Post

Ritter Battery

Aerial Filmworks

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

CineTape