3 replies to this topic

#1 Lee Young

Lee Young
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 05 November 2006 - 01:23 AM

As you are quickly are about to find out, I know nothing on sound for 16mm. I have a camera that is crystal synced. I've read about different ways to record sound for film such as a nagra, dat, or minidisc player. In the case of a minidisc recorder or dat recorder, do I need to have a sync cable that runs from my camera to the recorder? Doesn't the minidisc recorder run at a constant speed? By the way, I know about the resolving process. Thank you very much

#2 Bernhard Zitz

Bernhard Zitz
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 342 posts
  • Other
  • Z├╝rich, Switzerland

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:35 AM

do I need to have a sync cable that runs from my camera to the recorder? Doesn't the minidisc recorder run at a constant speed?

nope, no sync cable needed with crystal sync, dats and minidiscs run at constant speed in the case of a nagra you need a newer one that has crystalspeed...anything digital, like fieldrecorders that record on memorycard or harddisk, runs at constant speed...Sometimes I use my powerbook and Pro-tools to do fieldrecording...

#3 Marco Leavitt

Marco Leavitt
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:16 AM

Make sure you get HiMD. The Sony MZ-RH1 is your only real option.

nope, no sync cable needed with crystal sync, dats and minidiscs run at constant speed in the case of a nagra you need a newer one that has crystalspeed...anything digital, like fieldrecorders that record on memorycard or harddisk, runs at constant speed...Sometimes I use my powerbook and Pro-tools to do fieldrecording...

#4 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 06 November 2006 - 09:42 AM

Make sure you get HiMD. The Sony MZ-RH1 is your only real option.

This is because normal MD's use a compressed audio format - you lose quality right from the beginning of your audio workflow.
Another option to look at is a TDRS recorder like Tascam DA-88's and 98's. They're awful bulky for field recording but 8 tracks of linear digital recording can come in handy. The DA-98 has SMPTE and video sync functions built-in, the DA-88 requires an SY-88 accessory card for those options. I've got my DA-98 in a rack mount flight case with a custom XLR breakout panel in the back, I use professional quality external inline mike preamps, though I have hooked up my Mackie 1604-VLZ 12 channel mixer on occasion.

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Wooden Camera

Tai Audio

CineLab

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Technodolly

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

rebotnix Technologies