#1 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 05 November 2006 - 03:44 PM

I've asked the question before, but never really got a ballpark answer... What's the usual exposure rating for 7285 when you plan to cross process? 50ASA, 64ASA? I know the results can vary, but what are some experiences?

#2 Anthony Schilling

Anthony Schilling
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1053 posts
  • Camera Operator
  • Portland, OR

Posted 10 November 2006 - 06:34 PM

Anyone? for telecine, I'm going to go ahead and rate it as 50ASA for a full stop overexposure... second?

#3 Laurent Andrieux

Laurent Andrieux
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1527 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • France

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:06 PM

Could you do keylight tests at the same time as the camera tests, with the cross process ? I would think the lab itself has to be taken in account... It may vary from one to another...

#4 Jarin Blaschke

Jarin Blaschke
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 December 2006 - 09:47 AM

Certainly a test should be shot, but the usual exposure for cross processing is a stop faster than factory speed in regular chemistry, sometimes more, so in this case, ei. 200. Negative developer is much more active than reversal. What I like to do is rate it normally and pull one stop to keep the distinct cross-process look, but to just slightly curb some of the runaway contrast. I would imagine that if you rate '85 at ei 50 and cross process, you might have an excessively dense negative - highlights would become irretreivable.

Anyone? for telecine, I'm going to go ahead and rate it as 50ASA for a full stop overexposure... second?

#5 Robert Houllahan

Robert Houllahan
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1582 posts
  • Industry Rep
  • Providence R.I.

Posted 14 December 2006 - 02:04 AM

Certainly a test should be shot, but the usual exposure for cross processing is a stop faster than factory speed in regular chemistry, sometimes more, so in this case, ei. 200. Negative developer is much more active than reversal. What I like to do is rate it normally and pull one stop to keep the distinct cross-process look, but to just slightly curb some of the runaway contrast. I would imagine that if you rate '85 at ei 50 and cross process, you might have an excessively dense negative - highlights would become irretreivable.

We do a fair bit of X-process and i would agree with the above, if you want a 1 stop push rate it "normal" at 100 but if you are shooting normally a 200 rating seems to be correct from my experience.

-rob-

#6 Ryan McMackin

Ryan McMackin
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Student
  • Seattle

Posted 31 December 2006 - 04:59 PM

Anthony,

What were your results? I will be shooting some tests this coming week cross processing 7285 and would love any info you, or anyone else, might have to offer...

_ryan

Technodolly

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Abel Cine

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Rig Wheels Passport

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Opal

Tai Audio

Glidecam