5 replies to this topic

#1 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other
  • Stittsville Ontario Canada

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:16 PM

I have a Filmo AC motor. It came to me in unkown condition, without a power cord. The connector on the motor is a conon XLR-3-42, which my web surfing tells me is
1) Diwscontinued for years and
2) also known as a NATO 5935 00 232 2864

A comparison with the current XLR series canon Conectors reveles that the pins on the mic connectors are on the center line where the pins on this one are all in a trangle aragemnet, and the key way is 180 degrees from where it is on a mike conector. This is a bit of a releif as they did make it unlikely that one could get mixed up and plug a microphone into the AC line.

Does anyone have any idea if their is a current production connector that will plug into this beast. A part number to give to electrosonic or someone else would be useful. The alternative I guess is to fabricate s a braket to put a hard wired cord on, but that may be a bit dicey

The motor says it is for AC line voltage, and I believe that pins 2 and 3 are connected with Pin one as ground... Natuarly without a power conenctor I have not seen if this ebay gem will run.

any comments and sugestions are of course welcome. This will be a long project as my Filmo does have a hole to take the camera drive, but does not have the braket to hold the motor..

#2 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:23 PM

I have a Filmo AC motor. It came to me in unkown condition, without a power cord. The connector on the motor is a conon XLR-3-42,

What's the number on your motor? I'll check my Filmo AC motor and see if I can come up with something for you.

....Just got home, my Filmo AC motor has the same Cannon "sidewinder" connector on it - and a modern XLR-3F Switchcraft mike connector plug fits it correctly. Any audio/video house like Markertek has them by the hundreds. The two best brands are Switchcraft and Neutrik. I personally prefer Switchcraft, the Neutrik's use a plastic cord strain relief that breaks if abused. I've seen Switchcraft connectors get run over forklifts and come up working.

#3 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other

Posted 06 November 2006 - 10:10 PM

What's the number on your motor? I'll check my Filmo AC motor and see if I can come up with something for you.

....Just got home, my Filmo AC motor has the same Cannon "sidewinder" connector on it - and a modern XLR-3F Switchcraft mike connector plug fits it correctly. Any audio/video house like Markertek has them by the hundreds. The two best brands are Switchcraft and Neutrik. I personally prefer Switchcraft, the Neutrik's use a plastic cord strain relief that breaks if abused. I've seen Switchcraft connectors get run over forklifts and come up working.

Sorry, I pushed the wrong button and then could not edit the post.

Thaks Hal, I will have to try to get a "real Switchcraft, perhaps the Off brand one I was trying is off spec.

For reference the unit I have is marked:

Bell and Howell Chicago Made in USA
Filmo Volts 110
Cycles AC-DC
Amps .9
Clutch Torque (In Lbs) 9-1 {I don't know what they mean by 9-1}
Speed FPS 8-64
Int Duty Min 5
Gear Red 21-1
Part 03397

The nasty connector is marked CANNON XLR-3-42, it is set up so the cord would run parrall to the body of the motor.

#4 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 06 November 2006 - 11:26 PM

Bell and Howell Chicago Made in USA
Filmo Volts 110
Cycles AC-DC
Amps .9
Clutch Torque (In Lbs) 9-1 {I don't know what they mean by 9-1}
Speed FPS 8-64
Int Duty Min 5
Gear Red 21-1
Part 03397

That's the same motor as mine so a standard XLR-3F will work. The Part# is actually 31397

The only mount on the camera is a .375" hole about 3-3/4" from the driveshaft hole. Making a replacement mounting peg and plate won't be easy but it can be done. I notice on my motor that the plate with the .375" peg that spigots into the camera has two small roll pins (close to 1/16") that go through the plate into the flat adapter on the side of the motor. That tells me that Bell and Howell's engineers wanted to locate the mounting peg's location relative to the camera driveshaft within .005" or so. You'll need a machinist if you want to fabricate an adapter. I believe Magna-Tech Electronics in Miami at 305-573-7339 bought a lot of Alan Gordon's B&H parts a while ago. They may have an adapter you can buy. Make certain the adapter has the roll pins, if not a good hardware store should have them.

Good Luck!

#5 Charles MacDonald

Charles MacDonald
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1157 posts
  • Other

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:40 PM

That's the same motor as mine so a standard XLR-3F will work. The Part# is actually 31397

Good Luck!

HI al, Can you tell me if their are any numbers/letters on the connector on your motor? I bought a A3F connector at Circuit city and the triangle patern is 180 degrees out when I locate the connector by the Keyway, and the pins on the conector are a bit farther appart, even if I dismantle both connectors, the insert would not engage the pins..

I wonder if the connector was changed at some point in this units life.

(The keyway is the little ridge on the round part of the connector. On the a3f it is nar the release button, and the release button is oposite from the middle pin. on the connector on my motor the middle pin, marked pin 1 is on the side of the keyway. the keyway on the motor is between oin 1 and 3. on the A3F mike connector it is outside the triangle of the contacts..

You are correct that I mistyped the number, it is as you say, with a leading zero.

Edited by Charles MacDonald, 08 November 2006 - 09:41 PM.

#6 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:49 PM

I wonder if the connector was changed at some point in this units life.
(The keyway is the little ridge on the round part of the connector. On the a3f it is nar the release button, and the release button is oposite from the middle pin. on the connector on my motor the middle pin, marked pin 1 is on the side of the keyway. the keyway on the motor is between oin 1 and 3. on the A3F mike connector it is outside the triangle of the contacts.

The number on the connector on my motor is the same as yours, XLR-3-42. Cannon was the originator of the XLR series design. For years "Cannon connector" was generic language for an XLR.

I think that someone replaced the insert in your motor. I suspect your insert is one of the old mike plugs used on Electrovoice mikes among others. I checked one of my antique Electrovoice mikes out. It has a 4 pin plug, not 3 pin but, indeed, pin 1 is alongside the key. I took a quick look at ITT Cannon's webpages to see if they still make a -42 and didn't see on but it would be worth the time to contact them. Their "Contact Us" link is at: http://www.ittcannon...t/contactus.asp .

I checked the insert in my motor and unfortunately it's not one of the standard round ones, it has a flat base that's level with the flat base of the housing. I don't think anyone still makes a right angle surface mount XLR like is on B&H motors. It wouldn't be real hard to make a right angle bracket to mount a modern "D" series male chassis mount connector to replace your odd ball connector.

Willys Widgets

CineLab

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Wooden Camera

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Abel Cine

CineTape

rebotnix Technologies

The Slider

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly