#1 david freedman

david freedman

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 November 2006 - 11:02 AM

Need to light an night scene where car is broken down, towtruck approaches to help car- interaction with both drivers.....blah blah...I am somewhat limited in $$ and gear, i can get hmi's for that "cool blue night"look, plan on lighting the scene balanced to tungston so the background will go blue..didn't know how many lights/grip to factor in..i was thinking of bouncing a couple of 1200's into a 12x griff to key (with cto) and use 1 hmi for the "moon light" on a mombo stand...Any thoughts? How much spread do you think i can get with the bounce? should i try something more direct (12x silk) as to not lose the punch of the hmi's? I think i have 3 1200's at my disposal- perhaps some 575's...and grip stuff... tungsten and kino's...shooting with sdx. We need a wide shot for establishing, but will punch in for cu's..You know the deal.....
THanks,
Dave

#2 Bob Hayes

Bob Hayes
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1087 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Culver City, California

Posted 07 November 2006 - 01:18 PM

What is your budget? I'm leaning more and more to tungsten for my nights. They are cheaper and easier to move around. If you shoot video it is really easy to color balance the warm out. A 5,500 generator and 2 blonds, 2 red heads, and a couple of pars would get you a lot.

#3 david freedman

david freedman

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:38 PM

don't know the exact budget, definately under a grand.. we are pulling power from a nearby house, so i don't need a genny...Id get way more punch from a 1200 than 2K's, although i have considered bouncing 2 blonds into a 12x for a high key...(mimick street light) and use the 12oo's for raking the background....I've never shot at night, so i don't know what to expect....
thanks
dave

Willys Widgets

Opal

Abel Cine

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

The Slider

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

rebotnix Technologies

Ritter Battery

Gamma Ray Digital Inc