Cleaning Marks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JP Creatives

JP Creatives
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:40 PM

Hi,

I recently recieved a 50mm Nikon lens in very nice condition. However after further inspection I noticed some extremely faint cleaning marks on the lens when the light hits it from just the right angle.

I would hardly call them scratches but I guess that is what they are. There is a very small amount of them just off the center of the element and they are only about a half an inch long...

It would be impossible to photograph the element and get these marks since they are that faint. I have never had a lens with these marks before and I guess that I always just took it for granted that people take care of their glass.

Do you think they can affect picture quality on any noticeable level?

Thanks,

Jon

#2 Scott Bullock

Scott Bullock
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • Other
  • Denver, CO

Posted 08 November 2006 - 05:24 PM

Here's what I'd do:

Put the lens onto a Nikon SLR camera (cheaper than testing with 16mm) and expose a 24 picture roll of either negative film or reversal. Shoot under a variety of lighting conditions, especially facing into the sun and situations where flare is more likely. Once you have the roll developed, examine the film (not the prints) using as powerful a loupe as possible, at least 24X. If the marks are going to present any problems you should be able to tell.

I hope that helps.

#3 Robert Glenn

Robert Glenn
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • Other

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:36 PM

it shouldn't do much of anything from what i've heard as long as the scratches aren't so bad that the lens looks fogged. The rear element is what can really affect the image..
scratches and dust are just a fact of life for most lenses

#4 Craig Agee

Craig Agee
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Other
  • indianapolis

Posted 09 November 2006 - 03:04 PM

yeah like they said...cleaning marks usually wont affect a photo but just to be absolutely sure stop down to f16 and f22 and check your negatives with a loupe...really examine them (youll have to because even if it does affect the picture it wont be enough to even notice) shooting wide open wont do much....marks usually show up best stopped down.

FJS International, LLC

Ritter Battery

Metropolis Post

Aerial Filmworks

Willys Widgets

Technodolly

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Rig Wheels Passport

Opal

Abel Cine

CineLab