Michael Gioulakis

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:53 PM

Hello all...

Shooting a music video in a few weeks where there will be specific ramping cues that will coincide precisely with ramps in the playback. For instance...the video will begin at 96fps, with the playback four times as fast, and at a certain cue, the camera will ramp to 6fps, and the playback twice as slow...with the idea here that obviously the bands performance will ideally appear at "real time" throughout.

I assume that this has been done before, and am curious what devices might be available to sync the 435s ramps to the playback cues. I was told that this could possibly be done by the playback tech. Is this true? And if so....how exactly does it synch up with the 435.

Thanks,

Michael Gioulakis
DP

#2 Andrew Wheeler

Andrew Wheeler
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 11 November 2006 - 12:27 AM

Hey Mike, hows it going? Good to see ya on here

#3 nathan snyder

nathan snyder
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Other
  • Boise, Idaho USA

Posted 12 November 2006 - 07:52 PM

Hi Michael,

The most economic way I know to do this involves synchronizing the audio playback to the camera. I believe that the 435 generates a SMPTE code. This signal can be used control the playback speed of some audio applications like pro-tools (for mac) or vegas (for windows).

If your playback tech has a laptop loaded with Sony's vegas he/she will need two things to synchronize the audio playback to the spped of the camera. First a usb midi device. These can cost as little as $40 from any professional audio equipment retailer like hhtp://sweetwater.com or even http://guitarcenter.com Second a SMPTE-MTC conveter. I havn't seen one of these new for a while but I bought off ebay a couple of years ago for $20. The brand of the one I use is Midiman and the model is syncman SMPTE/Song Pointer Snyc Box. The camera plugs into the syncman box, the syncman box plugs into the usb midi interface, and the midi interface is plugged into a laptop, or whatever computer you use durring production for audio playback. The Vegas software has a button on the main console that needs to be selected. With the audio file loaded into the timeline it will play as soon as the camera roles, and it will play at the speed the camera is running at.

I have even used the sncman to do the same thing with older camera that only output an old pilotone signal.

#4 Brad Grimmett

Brad Grimmett
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2660 posts
  • Steadicam Operator
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:22 AM

I did a video similar to this a few years back. I can't remember the band name, but it was a song off the Man On Fire soundtrack. We didn't sync to the camera. There were three beeps every time the speed was about to change, and the band froze during the beeps (the song paused during the beeps) and while they were frozen we did the ramp. I know this isn't what you're looking for, but it's an option, although the freezing part was used as an element in the video, which is also different than what you're looking for. Gosh, I don't think I've been of any help.

#5 Scott Fritzshall

Scott Fritzshall
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Other
  • Los Angeles

Posted 13 November 2006 - 03:41 AM

I wonder if it might work better for you to shoot the whole thing at high speed and then retime in post using optical flow? I'd imagine you would be able to get some pretty good-looking results, and you would be able to keyframe the whole thing really precisely.

#6 Michael Gioulakis

Michael Gioulakis

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Cinematographer

Posted 14 November 2006 - 04:25 PM

I wonder if it might work better for you to shoot the whole thing at high speed and then retime in post using optical flow? I'd imagine you would be able to get some pretty good-looking results, and you would be able to keyframe the whole thing really precisely.

Yea, thats what I was thinking at first....but then realized that at 96 fps, a 4 1/2 min song would be longer than 1000ft... oh well...

Thanks all for the help.

-Mike

Metropolis Post

Abel Cine

Aerial Filmworks

Rig Wheels Passport

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Glidecam

Paralinx LLC

CineLab

Technodolly

Willys Widgets