#1 Alanso Pegetti

Alanso Pegetti

New

• Basic Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Other

Posted 12 November 2006 - 11:53 AM

I have noticed that many producers are using "film" to describe their projects, even though originated on video. Many producers also describe that act of digital or video origination as "film making". Conversely, one typically won't describe a film originated project as "video", or the act of film origination as "video making". However, a film originated music video production might be considered an exception.

I started thinking about this, since attending some "film" screenings, none of which had shown anything that was film originated.

Any thoughts?

#2 Daniel Smith

Daniel Smith
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts
  • Other

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:51 PM

I have noticed that many producers are using "film" to describe their projects, even though originated on video. Many producers also describe that act of digital or video origination as "film making". Conversely, one typically won't describe a film originated project as "video", or the act of film origination as "video making". However, a film originated music video production might be considered an exception.

I started thinking about this, since attending some "film" screenings, none of which had shown anything that was film originated.

Any thoughts?

Technically speaking perhaps it should have been called a 'Movie Screening'. But no one could really care less. I don't.

It's generally only the 'Anti-Digital' that go out of their way to go using the so-called 'correct' terms.

#3 Justin Hayward

Justin Hayward
  • Sustaining Members
  • 928 posts
  • Director
  • Chicago, IL.

Posted 14 November 2006 - 02:28 PM

http://www.cinematog...o we call video

#4 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 14 November 2006 - 11:53 PM

Let the French make films, we make movies. I don't remeber who said that originally but it was paraphrased in TRUE WEST by Sam Shepard, and is still one of my favorite lines. B)

#5 Bill DiPietra

Bill DiPietra
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2339 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • New York City

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:37 AM

Let the French make films, we make movies. I don't remeber who said that originally but it was paraphrased in TRUE WEST by Sam Shepard, and is still one of my favorite lines. B)

I tend to classify something a "film" if it is high quality (in all respects.) It's not really a matter of what format it originated on...

#6 David Sweetman

David Sweetman
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • Student

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:35 AM

There is provision made in the modern dictionary for the inclusive use of the term "film." Therefore one using the term in such a manner can't be faulted on any supported grounds besides by the technical purist who disregards even the contemporary dictionary.

#7 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:50 AM

I tend to classify something a "film" if it is high quality (in all respects.)

And yet Preditor was definately a movie, go figure :D

#8 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:58 AM

I don't get to picky but I have a few rules.

A bad movie is a movie or flick (or else its pearl harbor) and a good one is a film (the artsy stuff gets this moniker, even if its HD, though I have yet to say that....scary movie 4 came close though). Never the tween shall mix.

Its ok to say 'I am filming that scene today' if its video, but its not ok to say 'the camera broke, but at least we got that last take on film' if its video (filming as a verb is fine, film as a noun is bad)

That residue on my shower curtain....well I could go on, but it will get old. I can save the shtick for the george burns DVDs.

anytime I meet a purist and want to be an a$$ about the use of film v video, I always remind them that video tape is a plastic substrate with a metal oxide FILM on it. the word film was never meant to soley indicate a silver-halide chemistry, it simply means that there is a thin layer of something on a substrate. Could be any film on any substrate.

#9 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 18 November 2006 - 02:37 AM

I don't get to picky but I have a few rules.

A bad movie is a movie or flick (or else its pearl harbor)

Good one :lol:

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Broadcast Solutions Inc

Aerial Filmworks

FJS International, LLC

Metropolis Post

Opal

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

CineTape

Abel Cine