#1 Jordan Hassay

Jordan Hassay
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Student
  • Baltimore, MD - soon to be Los Angeles, CA

Posted 14 November 2006 - 02:13 PM

I own a Bolex Rex4 (exactly like a bolex Rex5, only without the 400' reel mount) and a Tobin Crystal Sinc Motor (TXM-20ba).The crystal sync motor is still in the mail, so I'm not exactly sure how loud it will be. Apparently it's quieter than the camera's spring motor, but the makers still recommend using a blimp or barney for sync sound.

I will be working on a short in about two weeks that requires sync sound, but the budget is very stretched. We need a do-it-yourself solution for making a barney for this camera. Here's pictures of what we're working with...

This is my camera.

Posted Image

and it will have one of these bolted to the side:
(image courtesy of Tobin Cinema Systems)

Posted Image

for a total of this:
(image courtesy of Tobin Cinema Systems)

Posted Image

#2 Matthew Buick

Matthew Buick
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2345 posts
  • Student
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.

Posted 14 November 2006 - 03:47 PM

Wow, I cold sure do with one of those for my Sankyo CME 1100.

By the way, I heard that leather is quite a good material for blimping.

#3 Jan Weis

Jan Weis
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Student
  • Uppsala, Sweden

Posted 14 November 2006 - 03:51 PM

Isolation foam is your best bet, you know the kind of foam used in cars to muffle the engine noise.

#4 Jordan Hassay

Jordan Hassay
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Student
  • Baltimore, MD - soon to be Los Angeles, CA

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:26 AM

Thanks for the responses sofar, they led me to some good resources. I did some digging and found that something called barifoil would work well, it's some kind of foam with a lead liner... but I have no idea where to get it.

I'm still on the lookout for alternative materials to make an effective barney out of. I did find some lead sheets, but they were... costly, and I doubted their effectiveness at stopping sound.

Our biggest problem is cost. We're on such a shoestring budget at this point that we're digging for investors just to finance the cost of the film stock. The crystal sync motor came out of my own pocket, and I'm really feeling the sting from that. I have another semester to go on the pitiful remainders of my bank account.

So I'm trying to make a barney on about $50, maybe a little more if there's no other way.

This is a really ambitious project, but the story is so good that we are putting everything we can into making sure we do it right. We're just running into the brick wall of cost, at this point.

Edited by Cinemabun, 15 November 2006 - 12:26 AM.

#5 Richard Boddington

Richard Boddington
  • Sustaining Members
  • 5482 posts
  • Director

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:08 PM

I was on this idea a few months ago and built a home made blimp that entirely encased the camera. Forget barfoil, it's long dead. There are much newer and better materials.

Contact American Micro Industries in Chambersburg PA, 800-558-2058. You want a product called Ultimate Barrier. It has foil on one side, then rubber, then thick foam, it'a about an inch thick at least. Easy to work with, you can cut it with scissors, and easily glue the foil side to any thing.

Basically you can encase the camera with it and just have the lens poking out. Your system with the Tobin motor will be LOUD, sorry to say. I had a similar motor for the Arri II.

For the lens you can get a clamp on matt box for $200.00 from and slide in an optical sound glass. I have a 7mm one and it blocks a lot of the noise that will come out the front of the camera via the lens.

Failing all this, here's some thing that works well, a down filled parka. Wrap it around the camera and clamp the front. I have a heavy arctic version and it's amazing how well it works to kill camera noise. I tried sound blankets and they where useless, down is very dense and makes a good sound barrier.

Camera noise can also be yanked out of the sound track using the audio tools in FCP 5.

R,

#6 Luke Prendergast

Luke Prendergast
  • Sustaining Members
  • 491 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Victoria Australia

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:57 PM

I haven't tried it but... two plastic bags and a can of Space Invader or similar expanding, space-filling foam might work. Vacuum the first bag around the camera, fill the space between the outer and inner bags with foam, leave to set, cut camera loose, add holes for controls, viewfinder and lens so you can still use the camera. Sound insulation requires static air between the source and subject.

#7 James Steven Beverly

James Steven Beverly
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4199 posts
  • Director
  • El Paso, Texas

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:53 PM

Thanks for the responses sofar, they led me to some good resources. I did some digging and found that something called barifoil would work well, it's some kind of foam with a lead liner... but I have no idea where to get it.

I'm still on the lookout for alternative materials to make an effective barney out of. I did find some lead sheets, but they were... costly, and I doubted their effectiveness at stopping sound.

Our biggest problem is cost. We're on such a shoestring budget at this point that we're digging for investors just to finance the cost of the film stock. The crystal sync motor came out of my own pocket, and I'm really feeling the sting from that. I have another semester to go on the pitiful remainders of my bank account.

So I'm trying to make a barney on about $50, maybe a little more if there's no other way.

This is a really ambitious project, but the story is so good that we are putting everything we can into making sure we do it right. We're just running into the brick wall of cost, at this point.

Actually, it's spelled Baryfol . If you do a search for the other spelling you'll never find it. B)

Glidecam

Ritter Battery

Technodolly

Rig Wheels Passport

Visual Products

FJS International, LLC

The Slider

Wooden Camera

Opal

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

rebotnix Technologies

Aerial Filmworks