Photo

What happens when you use telephoto primes with super 16mm?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zachary Vex

Zachary Vex
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 November 2006 - 05:26 AM

I have an old prime that I got with a Bolex, and I'm going to stick it on a Kodak K100 this weekend while in Vegas in a helicopter... the camera is modified for super 16.

Will the lens cover super 16mm? Cooke Telekinic 3" f/4 Anastigmat Taylor/Hobson England is what it says.

Anybody?

#2 Kevin Zanit

Kevin Zanit
  • Sustaining Members
  • 1223 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • LA

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:33 AM

I am not sure if it covers S16, but I do know that if it has not been re-centered for S16, the lens will not track properly as you change focal lengths.

#3 timHealy

timHealy
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1252 posts
  • Other
  • New York

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:55 AM

Kevin, I assume you mean if the camera hasn't been recentered... I have never heard of a lens being recentered unless there is some process I am not aware of.

I guess the issue of tracking though would not be an issue since it is a prime lens.

Zach... Anyway to test the camera before you go and shoot with it if you have doubts?

best

Tim

#4 Ian Marks

Ian Marks
  • Guests

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:05 AM

Generally, longer focal lengths project a larger image circle, so you're probably okay on coverage. Three inches is about 75mm, a moderately long focal length lens for 16mm. Of course, if the lens is designed for standard 16, its best performance may not extend to the extreme corners of the Super 16 frame.

Regarding what Kevin said, I think he misspoke, as you can't change focal lengths on the lens you describe - it has a fixed focal length. In any event it's the lens mount that should be re-centered (by 1mm, I think) on a camera modified for Super 16. If your lens mount hasn't been recentered, you'll just have to try your lens to see if the coverage is adequate (if it isn't, you'll see a problem in the corners of one side of the frame).

You can avoid problems by using a lens designed for 35mm still photography, which will provide such a large image circle that the off-center lens won't be an issue. You can mount this to your K100 using C-mount adapter. However, the larger lens will probably interfere with the K100's finder objectives. Hope this helps.

Tai Audio

Aerial Filmworks

Paralinx LLC

Broadcast Solutions Inc

The Slider

Metropolis Post

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

rebotnix Technologies

Rig Wheels Passport

Willys Widgets

CineLab

FJS International, LLC