Photo

Plus Green's behavior with skin tones...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:14 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm shooting a scene that takes place in a hospital/insane asylum. I wanted to simulate the color of greenish fluorescents to create a real menacing and uncomfortable environment. I'm using Fuji's 500T stock on this one.

If I were to use a certain degree of Plus Green, how would it show up on caucasian skin tones? Would I still get a hint of my actors' pinkish hues? Should I combine the Plus Green with another color gel to still keep my actors' skin tones looking natural and not like aliens?

I've never used a Plus Green gel specifically, so I just wanted to know what you guys know about them and what their behavior is like.

thanks!

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank, 15 November 2006 - 04:15 PM.

#2 Daniel Carruthers

Daniel Carruthers
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Canada

Posted 15 November 2006 - 05:32 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm shooting a scene that takes place in a hospital/insane asylum. I wanted to simulate the color of greenish fluorescents to create a real menacing and uncomfortable environment. I'm using Fuji's 500T stock on this one.

If I were to use a certain degree of Plus Green, how would it show up on caucasian skin tones? Would I still get a hint of my actors' pinkish hues? Should I combine the Plus Green with another color gel to still keep my actors' skin tones looking natural and not like aliens?

I've never used a Plus Green gel specifically, so I just wanted to know what you guys know about them and what their behavior is like.

thanks!

Ive used half green for the same affect and it worked quite well. skin tones where still there.

#3 Michael Collier

Michael Collier
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1262 posts
  • Gaffer
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:11 PM

Yeah, skin is pretty forgiving with green. I have a bunch of video tests with varying levels of it, but if you aren't shooting for a while, I can send you screen grabs from 'Sleep' I had the same sort of shot and at one point I had uncorrected overhead floros running, and augmented that with 1/2CTB+full plus green on tungsten lights (200t 7217 rated at 160). I can show you what that looked like once I get my telecine back. Also watch Requium for a dream. there are several shots where they used regular floros, I think augmented with full pluss green (which is even stronger than what I did) and still looks great (well, great for the context.)

#4 Jonathan Bowerbank

Jonathan Bowerbank
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2815 posts
  • 1st Assistant Camera
  • San Francisco, CA

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:18 PM

Yeah, the fluorescent look from Requiem was sort of what I had in mind. There's another film (also starring Jared Leto, incidentally), "Lord of War", where there are a few kitchen scenes with a really dramatic fluorescent green.

I don't want to go too green, just a hint of it to resemble the fluorescent look.

thanks! I'm not shooting for another 2 weeks probably, so if you could send over some screen grabs that'd be great!

#5 Brian Wells

Brian Wells
  • Sustaining Members
  • 438 posts
  • Other

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:03 PM

I tried doing this effect last month with a Kino Flo and 1/4 Plus Green and was not happy with the results. I wanted it to look gritty. Instead, it looked like green tinted video. In retrospect, I should have just used an old POS flourescent instead of getting fancy with professional lights and gels. I also should have experimented with an additional small light on a flicker box to simulate 60-cycle flicker, without all the nasty pulsating effects of a magnetic ballast . Anyways, that's what I would have done differently, in retrospect.

CineTape

Gamma Ray Digital Inc

Opal

Abel Cine

CineLab

Paralinx LLC

rebotnix Technologies

Wooden Camera

Metropolis Post

Media Blackout - Custom Cables and AKS

Aerial Filmworks

Visual Products