4 replies to this topic

#1 Werner Klipsch

Werner Klipsch
  • Basic Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Other

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:56 AM

Some years ago I read that Technicolor were going to introduce a new version of the old dye imbibition process for making colorfilms.

They said that the process would not only allow them to use better colored dyes than is possible with chromagenic processing but that they could clean the dye off an old film base and re-use it.

Apparenty the Arrilaser would make the manufacture of the gelatin printer strips much cheaper and quicker that they did in the past.

I've heard nothing about this since then. Does anybody know if they are still working on it?

#2 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:23 PM

Apparenty the Arrilaser would make the manufacture of the gelatin printer strips much cheaper and quicker that they did in the past.

I think the only thing the Arrilaser had to do with the IB process was to help kill it off.
When Thompson bought Technicolor they discontinued the project & I believe used the space for DI suites.

Trust an electronics company to recognize quality & squash it in favor of something electronic.

Edited by Leo Anthony Vale, 16 November 2006 - 03:23 PM.

#3 David Mullen ASC

David Mullen ASC
  • Sustaining Members
  • 19759 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • Los Angeles

Posted 17 November 2006 - 04:12 AM

They built a prototype dye transfer printer. It was used for a few releases:

"Gone with the Wind" re-release, some prints for "Bulworth", the prints for "Apocalypse Now Redux", a few prints for "Wedding Planner", "Pearl Harbor", "Godzilla", etc.

It didn't catch on and Technicolor dismantled the set-up for a company move and never rebuilt it.

The trouble was that it takes about a month to create and time a set of b&w matrices, and modern studio films are used to delivering a finished negative as late as possible, timing it quickly, striking multiple dupe negs off of the IP, and rushing out thousands of release prints. The studios didn't have the time to deal with the process. Plus it is very expensive to make the matrices, so the process is only cost-effective with large print orders. But the prototype machine was too slow to make large numbers of prints quickly enough.

#4 Hal Smith

Hal Smith
  • Sustaining Members
  • 2280 posts
  • Cinematographer
  • OKC area

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:28 AM

There's a Looney Tunes IB (not stated explicitly but it looks like IB - very vivid colors) print for sale on eBay that got wet on one side. The water dissolved the dye. That to me indicates a technical problem with IB that may have some relevance as to why the process was abandoned.

Pictures at: http://cgi.ebay.com/...1QQcmdZViewItem

#5 Leo Anthony Vale

Leo Anthony Vale
  • Basic Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2010 posts
  • Other
  • Pittsburgh PA

Posted 17 November 2006 - 02:17 PM

There's a Looney Tunes IB (not stated explicitly but it looks like IB - very vivid colors) print for sale on eBay that got wet on one side. The water dissolved the dye. That to me indicates a technical problem with IB that may have some relevance as to why the process was abandoned.

There was no IB printing in 1990. It was restarted in 1996.
That is not a silver track.
It looks more like the emulsion dissolved not the dye.

Willys Widgets

Visual Products

Metropolis Post

The Slider

rebotnix Technologies

Tai Audio

Paralinx LLC

Glidecam

FJS International, LLC

Technodolly

CineTape

Wooden Camera